xvii. LEO HAS OFFICIALLY ENTERED HIS ANGST ERA

LEO.

——- His friends would've died a million times on the way to the front door if not for Leo.

First, the pressure-activated trapdoor on the sidewalk, then the lasers in the steps, then the nerve gas dispenser on the porch railing, then the motion-sensitive poison spikes on the welcome mat, and, of course, the exploding doorbell which Y/n had made the unfortunate decision of almost pressing it; almost.

Leo deactivated them all with ease as if the boy could smell the traps. Then her pick the perfect tool to disable them from his belt instantly.

If it wasn't for his friend just dying, he'd feel pretty proud of himself.

"You're amazing, man," Jason praised.

As he examined the front door lock, he scowled. "Yeah, amazing," he said. "Can't fix a dragon right, but I'm amazing?"

"Hey, that wasn't your — "

"Front door's already unlocked," Leo announced.

"It is? All those traps, and the door's unlocked?" Piper stared at the door in disbelief.

The door swung open easily as Leo turned the knob. He stepped in without hesitation.

He had yet to let go of Y/n's hand, so he tugged the girl along with him as he grumbled something angsty to himself.

He noticed that both Piper and Jason had stayed behind for a second, but paid no mind to it. Leo carefully sensed for more traps as he walked inside the large mansion, keeping his friend at his side.

He had just lost Festus, he wasn't about to let another friend leave him so soon.

It was so dark in the house that he could barely see where he was walking, so he'd stopped.

"I know you're not in the mood to talk about it, but if you change your mind, I'll listen." Y/n offered.

"Nothing to talk about." He said simply.

Y/n sighed, "Okay. No pressure, just an option."

Leo's hand tightened around hers in frustration.

"Why are you so nice to me? We barely know eachother." Leo said harshly. He wasn't quite sure why he said it, but he knew partly why; he preferred to push people away whenever something terrible happened to him. What he didn't know, was why he did it to her.

Y/n stopped and stood next to him, pondering for a minute. She didn't bother to look at him. "You'd do the same for me, wouldn't you?"

The curly-haired boy remained silent. He tapped his fingers that weren't intertwined with hers against the hem of his jeans in thought.

I would, wouldn't I?

He let go of her hand and shoved both of his into the pockets of his zip-up hoodie.

"I would." He said, barely above a whisper. He began to walk away, but Y/n grabbed him by the arm, tearing it out of his pocket, and wrapped him in a tight hug.

"You know you aren't alone, right?" She asked, muffled against his sweater.

Heat rose into Leo's cheeks. He then felt the tips of his ears catch fire.

Leo tried to put them out and weakly hugged her back. Y/n didn't seem to notice, thank Gods.

"I know." He said simply.

The boy then saw the silhouettes of Jason and Piper emerging into the house after their apparent conversation, and he broke the grasp.

"I — sorry..." he turned and walked off.