Chapter 4: The Long Road Ahead

As Knight-Captain Groose and his squad descended deeper into the labrynth that was Vah Naboris, Groose couldn't help but to wonder to himself how the hell such sophisticated machinery was constructed over ten thousand years ago. As far as he knew Hyrules technological achievements were at their peak right now and THEY didn't even have close to the tools to pull something like this off. Groose could hear the sounds of a battle echoing down into the depths of Naboris.

"Doesn't sound too good up there." Groose said aloud

"I hope we brought enough men." responded a sergeant.

Groose had brought 10 of his best along with him to infiltrate. They didn't encounter anything but a few bokoblin stragglers on their way to Vah Naboris that they managed to dispatch easily and quietly. So far it didn't appear that any of the enemy forces had made it inside yet, so where were these intense sounds of battle coming from? 

Groose had made sure to bring his prized invention with him which could be broken down into several smaller, infantry squad carryable pieces to be quickly reassembled when needed. Groose was quietly thinking to himself when one of his soldiers shouted. 

"Sir, watch out!" 

Groose quickly stopped in his tracks and looked down to notice that he had nearly stepped into one of those puddles of black and red ooze growing all over the place. 

"Gross, it's more of that smelly muck!" Groose exclaimed as he slowly looked up. To his surprise a big eye was staring right back at him. "What the-?" Groose shouted as the eye then fired a glowing orb at him. One of his men quickly shoved him out of the way just as the orb struck him sending currents of pain through his body. The soldier let out one final shriek of pain before collapsing to the floor with smoke coming out of his ears and mouth.

"God-damnit." Groose drew his soldiers claymore and charged at the eye out of disgust. "It's about time I get my hands dirty and since you killed one of my men, you get the pleasure!" Groose shouted at the eye before delivering a horizontal slice that completely severed the eye from it's stalk. To the captains surprise however two more eyes sprouted behind his squad. 

"More!?" one of the men shouted.

"Kill them all quickly." ordered the sergeant.

Groose and his men began quickly trying to slay eyes as quickly as they sprouted but as quickly as they died, they multiplied. It wasn't long before there were around 50 of them.

"Stop killing the damn things and fall back!" Groose ordered as they turned and ran for the stairwell behind them. Groose had lost 2 of his men to those abominable eyes and if he lost much more he was unsure how much help they'd actually be once they reached the Gerudo champion. Thankfully none of his fallen men possessed a piece of the Groosenator.

"We need to run and faster!" Groose commanded. "Whatever fighting is going on up there sounds like it's getting rowdier!"

As the squad reached a large chamber that possessed what seemed to be the beasts control terminal a bolt of lightning struck right at Groose's feet sending him stumbling backwards. "Whoa, watch where you are throwing that stuff!" Groose belted out angrily at the tall red-headed woman who backflipped and landed in front of him.

"It wasn't me!" she responded. "and who the hell are you?"

"I am Knight-Captain Groose" he stated proudly, pounding his chest with his own fist. "I  command Hyrules Vah Naboris Response Force!"

"Good if you are here to help then stop standing there with a ridiculous look on your face and fight!" the Gerudo champion Urbosa exclaimed.

"What the hell are "we" even fighting?" Groose asked baffled.