Chapter 23: Snake Among Thieves

Link, Mipha and Kala were jogging through the deep snow as fast as they could in an attempt to reach the encampment. With new revelations in their minds they finally thought they had something to go on, even if small.

"Kala, Let me ask you an important detail." Link asked through heavy breathing. "What did this Hylian woman look like? Any important features you can remember?"

"Well..." Kala began, she closed her eyes to recall the scene in her mind. "She was rather tall for a Hylian woman. She had black hair and was almost unhealthily fair complected."

"Taller or shorter than me?" Link questioned.

"Taller..." The Zora mercenary recalled. "By at least six inches. She was also wearing a black, fur lined cloak"

They had drawn close enough to the encampment that the two familiar guards had seen and called out to them.

"Kala!" The female guard shouted. "You made it back!"

"Where the hell's is Bonson?" The male questioned.

"Give.. me... a moment... to catch.... my breath." Kala panted.

After a brief moment of collecting herself Kala began to explain the story to the guards.

"Dead?!" The female guards eyes widened.

"You wanna tell the boss now!" The male instructed.

"Don't worry about it." Link cut in. "I'll explain. You have been through enough today. I was given the job to find you, so I should report it."

"Yes, you need your rest and a hot meal." Mipha added. "Let Link and I handle the rest."

Link and his lover quickly made their way to Captain Bertrands tent without stopping for anything along the way. As they pushed their way throught the flaps, Bertrand was just finishing up giving out the daily orders to his second-in-command.

"So, yer back." Bertrand asked in an almost impatient tone. "Well?"

Link cleared his throat. "Well... We brought your Zora soldier back.. Kala."

"And where the hell is Bonson?" Bertrand belted out.

"He... fell." Mipha said almost under her breath.

Link nodded in affirmation.

"According to Kala's report he was murdered in cold blood by a tall, black-haired Hylian woman who lured them over with faked calls for help." Link explained.

"Poor thing was perched in a tree with hungry wolves circling it when we found her." Mipha finished.

Bertrands head sank. "Bonson.."

"I am sorry, Captain." Link mustered his best sympathies.

"It's just.." Bertrand began. "He was my oldest and most loyal man. Been with me since the beginnin' when we were a gang of thieves."

He looked accross the tent at a small wooden box. "There. Take it... I'm a man o' me word."

Link opened the small wooden box and inside was a glistening purple rupee. He didn't hesitate placing it in his wallet.

"Y'know." Bertrand chuckled a bit. "Said after this job he was gonna retire.. go join a group of construction workers in Hateno that's name all ended in "son".

"So many people dying..." Mipha's sorrow was apparent.

"I said I'd help with your investigation and I will. I don't know much but ask anything and I'll try to answer it." the captain instructed.