Chapter 13: Miscalculations

Link awoke in his inn room to the sound of chirping birds outside his window. He let out a forceful yawn and stretched his toes. It was a bright and early 06:51. He thought to himself that no one would care if squeezed in another hour after their long trip the day prior, guardian hunting.

It wasn't long before his door swung open and Mipha ran in his room. She leaped on top of him and started shaking him playfully.

"Link! Let's go get some training in!" Mipha squealed. "I want to learn how to use a sword!"

Link sighed and then tackled her playfully in the bed.

"You want training? I'll give you some training!" he exclaimed as he playfully wrestled with her.

"Okay, we can go." Link stated after giving her a passionate kiss having pinned her arms to the bed. "I win."

"Really? It looks like I'm the winner in this position!" Mipha teased.

Link chuckled and they left his room together after he collected his gear. 

"I want to stop at the armor shop first." Link said. 

"That is fine love. I will get some streches in and meet you in the fields." Mipha winked at him.

Link walked through the front door to be greeted by a red-bearded man.

"Lovely morning sire!" He grinned through missing teeth. "Got some soldiers plate armor in here. Made it meself."

"How much?" Link asked as he inspected the gear. The man must be a skilled blacksmith because the quality was top-notch and worthy of the knights who wore the same armor.

"For you sir knight? 550 rupees should cover it. That's the rate per suit I charged the royal family." The man spit into a small brass cup.

Link checked his rupee wallet to make sure he had the funds to cover it and handed the man 1 gold rupee, 3 silver and a purple. "550 right here." Link nodded as he handed the man his fee.

Link stepped into a small room in the corner with the man to have the fittings adjusted. It was a great fit and despite the protection of the heavy steel plates and chainmail it was surprisingly light and he maintained most of his flexibility.

"You look gallant in it!" the shop owner grinned.

"Thanks, this will definitely prevent some injuries." Link chuckled as he shook the mans hand and stepped back through the door leading outside.

He walked around behind the building to spot Mipha in the center of a large field performing combat maneuvers with her trident.

"Link! We should have plenty of room." Mipha waved him over. "I've cleared out the cuccos to keep them safe."

Mipha looked her lover over in his new armor. "Dearest, you look amazing! My brave knight in shining armor!"

"I have something for you too." Link smiled as he drew a soldiers broadsword and a wooden pot lid and handed them to her. "Going to teach you not only how to attack with a sword today but also to defend yourself with a shield."

"And I will help you brush up on your spear skills." Mipha smiled. "I AM still your spear instructor after all. I never passed you!" she softly chuckled as Link rolled his eyes.

"First things first is your stance." Link explained using his own Zora shield and a wooden training sword to demonstrate. "Keep the shield out in front of you as often as possible, even when attacking."

Mipha copied his motions intently.

"Leaving yourself open to attacks by moving your shield out of position is a bad idea." Link demonstrated a few basic thrusting and slashing attacks while keeping his shield up in a defensive posture. "I want you to come at me and attempt to land a hit on me." Link raised his shield and motioned for her to charge.