Chapter 9: Lair of Demons

Link and Mipha had hobbled their way back to one of the medical tents not long ago after the enormous battle they just took part in and Link was doing his best to heal Mipha's wounds but  he could only do so much since her magic doesn't work on herself.

"Mipha, I know it hurts but you have to stand still." Link told her attempting to wrap the rib bandage tightly. "It won't help if I can't get it tight."

Link had a special salve that the camps healers taught him to make out of Hyrule Herbs, Stamella Shrooms and blue Chu Chu jelly that helps wounds heal quicker and mend broken bones, usually within 2 to 3 days.

"It is very painful, ouch! Too tight!" Mipha said gritting her teeth. "If I can't breathe, what good will it do?"

"Relax, it's not that tight and the pain should subside a bit in an hour or so." Link reassured her.

Mipha had already healed his wounds with her magic and he was feeling much better. He felt terrible that he couldn't do the same for her but, he was doing what he COULD do and this made Mipha happy all the same.

"Link, dearest. I can't express how much you looking after me means." Mipha said blushing. "I've never been this close to anyone before and it's so much different having another person to look out for and to look out for you in return. Different in a good way."

"I could personally use a little less healing eachother, and a little more spending quiet time, but I'll take what I can get." He smiled and kissed her forehead. "You need to get some rest for that rib. We'll stick around here for a couple of days to give you time to heal before we set out."

Mipha kissed him back on his cheek and retired to her cot for the night. Link lit a candle on the small table in the center of the tent and decided to have a cup of tea before lying down himself.  Herb tea always helped him to relax after a tense situation. He thought about the plan ahead. He knew they needed to get Purah's help in Hateno Village but what after? He hadn't thought that far ahead. They needed allies but from where? Were any of the other champions even alive? Were the Rito, Gorons, and Gerudo still holding out? Were there any survivors from Zora's Domain? Too many questions were running through his head all at once and he wished he had some kind of answer for any of them.

He finished his small wooden cup of tea, blew out the candle and laid back in his bunk. He hoped he could fall asleep but his thoughts would likely make it difficult. Is Zelda okay? Did she make it to the castle? What would she think of his choice to leave? Link was glad that because of his choice, Mipha was still alive but he was afraid of being labelled a traitor or coward and to him, maybe he considered himself one already.

He finally drifted off to sleep after about an hour of non-stop thinking.

....

Link was standing on Crenel Peak East of Hyrule Castle. He was taking part in one of his favorite free time hobbies, sketching. It was a beautiful clear day around and he had an amazing view of the castle for his sketch. He was on a 2 day leave from his duties of guarding Princess Zelda.

As he was adding the finishing touches a mass of swirling red and black energy enveloped the castle. A giant boars head was screeching and sending chills down his spine. This must be the Calamity Ganon that they had been preparing for. He dropped his charcoal and sketchpad and sprinted as fast as he could towards his grandmothers house in the marshes near Goponga Village to collect his things.

When he arrived though, there was no village. There were stone foundations with spintered remains of wooden buildings on top and Lizalfos prowled the area. Link rubbed his eyes, certain that what he was seeing couldn't be. He searched for his grandmothers shack where he had lived since he was 8 years old. It was gone too. Link was panicking. He did the next thing he could think of and that was to go to Zora's Domain to find out what had happened and to see if his friend Mipha was okay. She had been picked to be the champion and pilot of Divine Beast Vah Ruta. "Friend" Link chuckled. He knew damn well that the feelings had for her were likely more than that of a friend, but he was too cowardly to say.