Chapter Twenty Two

It has been a year since I gave birth to the triplets. Many days of crappy diapers, restless nights, laughter, and family. On the other much darker side of thing, we also spent some days searching for my grandfather.

Had to give it to him, he's a crafty old man. Many had gone out on a lead on the return with a cold trail. Suspense was building in my gut and this felt like one of those amazing moments that nothing could ruin-up until something ruined it.

One of those amazing moments was resting on my left ring finger as I twiddled with my engagement ring. "Ma!" I hear a squeal and the banging of small hands on a plastic tray.

I turn around to see Mikel smacking his hands on his highchair, smiling and babbling happily. I smile and walk over to him "Did my little man finish his snack?"

He squeals a laugh out and reaches for my face. I take the empty bowl off the tray and take off the tray. "Was mama not giving you enough attention?" I grab him and plop him on my hip and gently bounce him.

"You ready to go play with your sister and brother?"

"Ansee! Oyee!"

I chuckle at his baby babble version of his sibling's names "Very good baby! Yeah we're gonna see Ainslin and Ollie."

I bounce him and walk over to the upstairs living room where we have gated it off to be the play pen for the babies.

I hear Lin's giggling and hear Miah laughing in return. I turn the corner and see Miah playing with Lin's legs, playing peek-a-boo. Mikel leans forward and starts yelling babble as I get closer and I place him near her.

At hearing his brother, Ollie peaks up through the bars of the portable crib we have set up. He rubs his eye and starts yelling and pulling at the bars. "Ooo someone hears playtime." Miah teases.

I walk over and he reaches up for my hair, I pull him out and he places his head against my chest and twists my hair between his fingers.

"Did you have a good nap bud?"

"I swear he is the best sleeper of the bunch, he's always so calm and ready to cuddle."
I plop down in front of her and place Oliver in my lap facing his siblings. Mikel turns and crawls over smiling. He sits up and reaches to touch Ollie's nose and face "Oyee!Oyee!" he giggles.

"Yeah, baby it's Ollie." I say, him squealing return. He reaches over to grab a couple play rings with rattle balls inside and shakes one in front of Oliver.

Miah gushes over this "Aw my god that's the cutest thing ever. He's already such a good brother."

"Oh yeah, he adores his Ansee and Oyee."
"Only thing that could take him away is his stomach." Miah laughs.

"Yeah, he's definitely a little piggy."

"When do you go back to work?"

"Uh, I think not for another few days. There's the new girl, Melinda, whos been covering my shift so I think most of everything has been taken care of. Though I do miss spending time there with Cam. You sure you're gonna be fine watching the little ones? I know Ace is gonna help you when he can but he also has work."

"Oh please, me and my little buds are gonna be just fine. Not to mention Luca's parents and your grandmother are already planning days to come and kidnap them for the day. And yeah I have Ace too, but I think he'll be training the new guy Onyx."

"Hey! Anyone home?" Ace's voice calls up.
"Speak of the devil and he shall come." Miah muses.

"Up here!"

The week passes as normal and it's my first day back at the bookstore. I open the door and it jingles at my presence. I see Cammie look up and grin widely "Aah! You're back!" she exclaims, coming around to hug me.

"We literally had y'all over for dinner last week." I laugh, hugging her back.

"I know but I've missed you here, Mellie is great and all but she's a quiet one."

"You call me?" I hear a light voice call out.
I look up to see a woman around my age in a bookworm apron turn the corner. Her wavy auburn hair is pulled up and away from her light brown eyes and warm skin tone. "Oh hi, you must be the famous Raelynn I keep hearing about. I'm Melinda, but most just call me Mellie."

"Nice to meet you, Mellie. What brings you to our small corner of the world."

"Love this, really do, but we just got a huge shipment of a series that the highschool asked for sooo.."

"Got it boss." I tease and head to the back to change and put my stuff down.

I come back out and start to help Mellie stack the books on there designated place.

"So what brings you to town?" I ask again.

"I'm used to this kind of area, I grew up not too far from here."

"Home in the woods type thing?"

"Yeah, something like that. My grandfather raised us in a cabin in the woods against a cliff, a little ways out from a small town like this."

"Us?"

"Yeah, me and my brother. We needed a change of scenery that still felt like home."

"We may be small, but home is definitely something we don't lack."

She gives a gentle smile "I don't doubt that."
"Raelynn!" Cammie's frantic voice comes around the corner.

"What? What's wrong?"

"It's Miah. She's gone."