Chapter One

The feeling of anticipation pangs in my gut the moment I open my eyes. My heart jitters in my chest and my mind spins for answers, only for me to feel dizzy and nauseous from thinking too much before breakfast. I'm losing my mind.

" Raelyn Evangeline Stone! Get down here!" I recognize the screaming of my best friend Miah. Sometimes she acts more of a mom to me than my actual mom.

As I trudge my way downstairs, the sweet smell of cinnamon pulls me in the direction of the dining room. For the first day of summer, it's no surprise Miah is here for our annual start of summer breakfast.

"Morning sleepy head." My dad greets cheerfully.

"Morning." I reply, grabbing and filling a plate with buttery French toast, scrambled eggs, and crispy bacon. Nothing better than a good breakfast spread.

I see Miah sat down, stuffing her face "Was the yelling necessary?"

She simply smiles, her cheeks puffed with food.

I shake my head and sit down to dig in. My mom walks in, placing fruit on the table and goes to stand next to my dad. "So me and your father have to go on a business trip this summer, and we've realized you haven't gone to your grandmother's house in a while. So, we've talked with Miah's parents, and you two are going to spend the summer over there. We were hoping that a change of scenery would give you girls some idea on what you want to do now that you've graduated."

My queasy feeling shifts to excitement. I absolutely adore my grandmother. My mom likes to say it's because we're practically the same person.

We both have wavy copper hair that had natural streaks of golden blonde, green eyes, a bridge of freckles, and a knack for sarcastic remarks and smart comments.

I have always looked up to her for the independent woman she is, one who accomplished all her goals in life with determination and strive. I aspire to be like her. I've never really known how to do that, hence the lack of after high school planning.

"When do we leave?" I ask, practically bouncing in my seat.

"Friday." Miah answers for my mom "So we should probably start packing, cause you know what I'm like." She says, laughing.

...

A weight bouncing on my stomach jostles me awake. I groan and stubbornly keep my eyes shut, knowing the one person who would wake me up so rudely.

"Rae! Come on we have meer hours till our flight leaves!" Miah exclaims while she violently shakes my body.

"Don't be dramatic, we have plenty of time." I say, shoving her off the bed.

She squeals hitting the floor with a thump. "So help me Rae you are not sleeping away our summer."

I sigh and open my eyes "Fine, let me get ready."

She smiles widely "Great!" Then practically skips out my door.

Minutes later, I grab all my luggage and head downstairs, where I'm greeted by a note taped on the front door with my mother's handwriting swirling on the page.

"I hope you have a good flight sweetheart, I'm sorry me and dad had to leave early. Grandma will be there to pick you up when you land.

Love, Mom"

"How did you get in?" I turn around asking Miah.

"I may or may not have made a spare key" she states nonchalantly, playing with her thick curly brown hair in front of the hallway mirror.

She looks almost doll like with her bright blue eyes, and petite frame. Though it always lead to people underestimating her. A big mistake on their part. Being the only girl in a sea of big brothers led to her being able to fight with the best of them. She even practically dragged me to training in self defense.

"Do you want to go out for breakfast?" she suggests.

"I could go for breakfast tacos."

She giggles and shakes her head "I shouldn't have even asked."

"You really shouldn't have." I tease.

...

Hours later we are seated on the plane with me being by the window and her occupying the middle seat. Staring off at the rolling clouds, I recall the last time I was staying with my Grandmother.

"Grandma!" I yell excitedly as I run into her open arms.

"Hey pumpkin! My you've grown. How old are you now."

"Eight, grandma." I giggle.

We had been there for a week when one day I saw a deer out on a trail near her house and decided to follow it. I had followed it until it stopped at a nearby creek. I stayed far behind to not spook it but then saw it's head snap up, ears twitching.

A dark shape hides behinds some bushes near the deer. A deep growl reaches my ears, a tremble rattles throughout my body. I quickly turn back to the path and sprint as fast as my legs could take me, ignoring the sickening snap of bones and the tearing of flesh behind me.

When I reach the cabin I explain what had happened to my parents. Next thing I know I'm thrown into a car with my grandmother telling me she'll see me soon. The car ride is filled with my parents hushed and panicked conversation. Though scary, I can't understand why we had to leave. As I pass by the forest I catch a glimpse of crimson eyes.

One of the first times I assumed I was losing my mind.

That was the reason I hadn't been there in ten years. I never knew why and no answer was ever given. I was surprised when my mom suggested we go to my grandmothers, but I was too excited to dwell on it. Not wanting to dwell on it further, I doze off.

...

Just as Mom had said, grandma is there to take us to her cabin.

I laugh at her big sign reading "Lookin' for my Pumpkin" in bold orange letters. As we approach her a wide smile stretches her wrinkled face, her arms bringing down and dropping the sign to bring me into a tight bear hug.

"You too short stack." Grandma teases Miah as she opens one of her arms to drag her into the hug.

I wrap my arms around both their smaller frames, "I missed you." I whisper.

We pull back and she cups my face, wiping my cheeks "No time for tears."

"Come along, you two. The drive is long." She states and picks up her sign.

A long drive later and we pull up in front of her cabin. I hop out to be greeted with the darks smells of the forest. The smell of rain, grass, and the trees fill me with a sense of calm. The familiar smells reminding me why it was my favorite scenery.

My room is small and cozy. A window looking out into the forest brought natural light into the room. A full bed that took up most of the space to the left of the window, a dresser is placed facing the bed with a mirror hanging above it. A small desk is nestled on the other side of the window with painted soup cans filled with pens and pencils.

"Sorry, since you've grown, it probably doesn't seem as big as you remember it." I hear my grandma say behind me.

"You know I've always loved this room." I reply. "At least I did." I mumble.

Ignoring, or simply not hearing my mumbled words she says "You always were more keen on the simpler things. Well you better get settled pumpkin ,the chili is almost done."

"Okay,I'll be out in a bit"

With a small content smile and a knowing glint in her eye, she leaves.

It's already turning to dusk outside so I click on the desk lamp and go to close the curtains. As I do I catch a glimpse of those crimson eyes, but when I go to get another look they're gone. I'm losing my mind.