Chapter Three

"Soooo.."Miah drags out while driving home after applying to a few more places "Seriously, who was that back there? He was totally checking you out."

"Miah.." I groan.

"What? I'm just saying. It's been awhile since you've gone out with someone, you know after-"

"He who shall not be named." I say, cutting her off. "Anyways, we are not here to date. We are here to have a great summer and figure out what we want to do. "

"What's the harm? I say give him a chance and flirt back a little bit.You never know what might happen."she says while turning the car off.

"My point exactly, you never know what could happen. Anyway, I'm too tired to worry about guys. We've been out all day." I point outside to the rising moon "Literally."

While I patter around, doing my nightly routine, I can't help but think of Luca. Why did I feel a warmth when he was around. Why did I feel in a daze simply by looking at him? No guy has ever had that kind of effect before. Why did I feel literal tingles up my arm when he touched me. I thought that only happened in cheesy romance books.

As I'm about to go to sleep, I see my phone light up with a text from a number I don't recognize .

Unknown- Hey it's Cammie from the bookstore, just wanted to know what time you would want to start working?

Looks like I got the job

Me-Would Monday work?

She replies almost immediately.

Cammie-Perfect! Shifts from 8-5. See you then!

That night I go to bed seeing those amber eyes, ignoring the red ones outside my window.

...

On Sunday Miah goes out to do more hunting while I stay back and bake with my grandmother. But by Monday morning, Miah is back to trying to convince me to see where things could go with Luca.

"Look all I'm saying is he's an incredibly good looking dude that seems interested. And he reads! That girl even said he was a bookworm-that is so perfect for you and a great conversation starter. I'm not saying marry the guy or even ask him out. Just flirt a little and get to know him and see where it goes. I mean you are going to be working at one of his favorite places all summer." She rants.

"I'll think about it. Okay?"

"That's all I ask." She chuckles.

I get up to put my plate in the sink "Speaking of which, I need to go to work." I give my grandma a kiss on the cheek. " I'll see you both around 5."

With that, I go on my way to Bookworm.

I bounce and dance in my seat to blasting music ,when a blur of black catches my eye. I slow down the car, scanning my surroundings and catch another streak of black along the trees. Freaked out, I speed up and try to get to Bookworm as quickly as possible.

As I take a turn, suddenly all I see is black against my windshield, and the car rocks back and forth. I scream, slamming on the brakes.

Breathing heavily, I open my eyes and see nothing on the hood. I park and rush out of the car and look at the front. There's nothing there, so I check behind just in case it rolled over the car. Nothing.

I'm so sure I hit something, and when I check the windshield and see a small crack with some black fur stuck in the windshield wipers, I know I had hit something. At least this time, I know I'm not losing my mind.