Burden of a Commander

Even in this dimension, and even if it is a different version of Alberu, his sworn brother constantly manages to catch him off guard with his comments.

Ciel inclined his head thoughtfully, languidly brushing a few loose strands of hair out of his eyes. He looked at Cale, who was wearing a scowl on his face for a half-minute before returning his gaze to the blond and shrugging.

"I will have to deny that offer, your highness."

A dumbfounded look crept onto Alberu's face as he studied the black-haired man.

"Why so?" he asked, only to be answered with a faint smile.

"I won't stay in this place for too long," Ciel whispered quietly, and Alberu sensed a shadow of something sorrowful and dark behind those words. He has a strong suspicion that there's another meaning behind those phrases, but he lacks the courage to ask for fear of making the male uncomfortable again.

— Where are we going, human?

— Will we travel somewhere nya?

Ciel just gave a bittersweet smile in response to the queries reverberating in the back of his mind.

"I see..." Alberu mumbled, shaking his head absentmindedly in response. Perhaps he is correct in his assumption that the other man is originally from another kingdom, because he could permanently continue to stay in the Roan Kingdom and earn the second-highest position, and yet, his offer was still rejected.

"Where are you going?" Cale interjected, raising his brow.

"It's not like I'm going away soon, so there's no need to talk about it," Ciel replied nonchalantly as he lifted the corners of his lips slightly to assure the redhead that he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

"Do know that you are always welcome to consider the offered position; no one qualifies for it better than you," Alberu added as he gave him an eye-smile, hoping that his charm would persuade the other guy.

Ciel, on the other hand, could only sigh inwardly as a result of this. Years of being at the blond's side have given him a thorough understanding of everything his hyung-nim does, including the other man attempting to woo him into becoming the Prime Minister.

Ciel chuckled quietly at the memory, drawing astonished expressions from both men surrounding him.

Alberu grinned subtly as he took in the scene. He was completely oblivious to the fact that the redhead was openly scowling at him for making such an expression.

"You should smile like that more ofte—" His words were brought to a halt when one of his attendants drew a quick bow in the direction of all three of them before turning his attention to Alberu.

"Your highness, someone has requested a private audience."

Alberu grimaced, mentally cursing at himself for being interrupted in the middle of his chat with the other man. He waved his hands dismissively at his attendant and returned his gaze to Ciel, who gave him a nod, suggesting that he should take care of his business.

He let forth a wistful sigh before he started speaking with his usual smile on his face, attempting to keep his face from showing any eager reactions towards the other man, "At the royal festival," he said. "Will you be there?"

Ciel blinked and he was quick to nod his head. "Yes, your highness," he replied slowly. "I will be there with Cale."

— Human, we will go with you too!

'Mm, yes you will.'

Alberu cast a peek at the redhead, who was glaring daggers at him, clearly unconcerned that he was doing it to a member of the royal family.