Addison Montgomery- Grotto (c)

You knew that Addison's work was important, and you did your best to not get upset when she had to work through important days as she did try her best to make it up to you when she could get time off. You didn't blame her for having to work on your birthday or over Christmas, but that didn't make it any easier on you and you couldn't help but be upset that she isn't there when you want her to be. Once again, she had told you that she was to be at the hospital for Christmas Eve and you just had to grin and bear it and accept that she'd make it up to you when she could.

Christmas was important to you, and Christmas Eve was equally valuable for you, so knowing she would be gone all day, and likely stuck there for the next, meant that no matter how much you planned for a perfect festive period, you would likely end up on your own. Every year you tried to make plans, but you knew that her work schedule could change on a whim and even though she wasn't meant to be at work on Christmas Day, her shift would likely be extended to take her through to the following night, if she was even lucky enough to get home at that point.

You accepted that you would awaken in the morning to be alone, and silently cried yourself to sleep on Christmas Eve. You anticipated that you'd awake to sit in your silent living room, accepting calls from family wishing you a happy holiday, but when you were gently shaken awake, you knew that the day was going to go differently than you thought.

"Addison," you croaked, looking up at your girlfriend who was offering you a sleepy smile.

"Merry Christmas."

"I thought you were going to be stuck at work?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "I know how important Christmas is for you, so I made some deals and offered to cover some shifts and got home a few hours ago."

You sat up in your bed and cocked an eyebrow at her. Why was she still dressed and not in bed, if she had returned a few hours previously?

"I've got something to show you."

Addison took your hand and led you from the bed, downstairs to her office, that you rarely entered due to it just being a place for her to work. She opened the door to reveal an ostentatiously decorated room, looking as though it was meant to be a Santa's grotto.

Before you could question why she had done it, Addison grabbed a small box from her desk and turned back to you.

"I know how much Christmas means to you, so I wanted to make this as special as I possibly could for you. I know you accept a lot less than you deserve with my work schedule, and I am beyond grateful that you had stuck by my side throughout. I am hoping though that you will do me the honour in being my wife?"

Addison opened the small box to reveal a ring.

You nodded your head, leaning in to kiss her. "Of course."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.