April Kepner- Help (c)

You had met April when you were in medical school and it instantly started a long lasting friendship. At first you were a bit upset that you weren't going to have a placement together but it wasn't long before the merger between Seattle Grace and Mercy West and you were once again reunited. Not much had changed about her but somehow she was more anxious and insecure than she had been when you last worked together. It did hold her back that she wasn't able to see her full potential and managed to get herself stuck in her own head often, but you were happy to help her.

The extent of her overwhelming anxiety wasn't clear to you until you got a glimpse at the notebook that she carried and you could see a deep insight into what was constantly whirring through her mind all day. At first you didn't want to ask her about it; you didn't want to pry but you couldn't know that she was suffering in silence all the time. When the two of you managed to get a break from work, you made your way to the café, and you decided it was a good time to talk to her about it.

"I know when I saw your notebook, you said you didn't want to talk about it, but I think we really should," you said softly.

April's eyes widened, her face dropping to try and hide her face from yours so you couldn't see the growing redness of her cheeks.

"We don't," she squeaked.

"I know you struggle with believing in yourself," you smiled weakly. "Anxiety is an incredibly helpful thing to have in small amounts, but it is taking control of you, and I would like to try and help you where I can, so you are able to excel not just at work but also for yourself."

She meekly peered back up at you, terrified to face what you were talking about, fearing any form of change that could come with it.

"I don't know how you can help," she whispered.

"Sometimes it helps to bounce your thoughts off of someone. It's great that you're writing it down but you are still the only one inputting into your thoughts and if your anxiety creates them it can be really hard to fight it or see the truth behind them, maybe I can help with that?" You offered, not wanting to push her too hard.

April paused for a moment before lightly nodding her head, barely even moving.

"Maybe it will help," she shrugged.

"Then its worth a shot."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.