20. Memory lane

Grace sat quietly in the passenger seat of Emily's gray Porsche Taycan as they drove through her mothers old neighborhood in Harlem. She watched out of the tinted windows as the luxury vehicle crawled through the pothole filled streets of the hood, people stopping what they were doing and looking in the direction of the flashy car as one of those vehicles was out of the norm for that area. Emily's new Porsche was an upgrade from her old white Cayenne, a gift from her new boyfriend whom Grace had still yet to meet.

They'd began dating a year before Joseph's release. The two would go on secret dinner dates that Emily said were 'girls nights out' but Grace knew better. She knew her mom like the back of her hand and she'd never been known to hang out with any other females besides her very bestfriend, Graces God mother Nia. He was this mysterious man that whisked her away on island vacations and bought her whatever she wanted. Grace had heard them speak on the phone several times before but that was about it. She honestly didn't mind though, Grace was an adult now and didn't care to get in the middle of her mothers love life, as long as she was happy.

Slowing the car down to a stop in front of a red brick home, Emily put the vehicle in park before turning the engine off and turning to look at her now adult daughter. They hadn't been here since Grace was about two or three but she was too young to remember. Emily had kept her word about getting in contact with Graces biological grandmother, Richards mother. After finding a day and time that worked well for everyone Emily drove Grace back to the neighborhood where Grace and Richard first met, where they first kissed, first fell in love, and where Black Mafia began.

" You ready?" Emily asked with a small smile.

" Yes," Grace said, mirroring her mothers Colgate like smile. Grace was feeling a mixture of emotions— excited, nervous, happy, anxious. She'd never met anyone from her fathers side of the family before, she wondered how they'd react to finally being able to see her, how they'd react to seeing Emily again. The two women got out of the low profile car, Emily's Louboutins making clicking sounds against the pavement as she walked around the vehicle putting on a pair of sunglasses with her Chanel bag in hand. Emily was the epitome of extra and bossy, she dressed like that everywhere she went. Grace on the other hand decided to keep it comfortable today in a long sleeve SKIMS set and a pair of chestnut colored Uggs as fall was quickly approaching.

Grace couldn't help but physically feel all the eyes on them as they stood on the side walk of all the folks sitting out on their front porches in chairs or on the stoops of their homes enjoying the weather. It was as if they all knew Emily and Grace didn't belong there but the only person feeling out of place was Grace, it didn't bother Emily much because this is where she grew up.

" This is your grandmothers house, this is where your daddy lived when we were younger and you see that tan house three doors down?" Emily asked pointing down the street. " That was my house,"

" I didn't know you and daddy practically lived next door to each other," Grace laughed.

" Yes, Nia lived on the next block over and your Uncle Sanky lives in that house across the street right there," Emily said pointing to a home across the way.

" Uncle Sanky?" Grace repeated. That was her first time hearing of him.

" Your grandmothers baby brother," She informed. " Come on," Emily said walking up the cement steps of the home.

Grace eyed the group of five men that flocked the porch next door to her Grandmothers house as they stared her and Emily down, smoking and shooting dice— the gentle breeze wafting the smell of marijuana their direction. The block had almost an eerie feel to it, like the hood new Emily and Grace was there.

Emily opened the screen door, knocking on the wood door aggressively. Graces heart practically felt like it was going to beat out of her chest. She couldn't tell if she was more nervous or excited. The door slowly cracked open revealing a short petite black woman who didn't look a day over fifty-five though she was older than that. Her skin was smooth and un-withered with a crown of silver hair that looked as if it had just been blown out.