39. In-law blues

Shoutout to my girl FOREVERMXNI for coming up with Richards character lol Rich will be played by METHOD MAN 🫶🏽

-

" I'm okay mommy, I promise," Grace assured, standing with one arm wrapped around her waist and the other holding her phone to her ear in front of one of the many floor to ceiling windows looking out into the backyard at the view of the vibrant turquoise ocean from the new house.

The sun was almost at full attention in the sky

The sun was almost at full attention in the sky. The early morning air had a slight chill to it and smelled of salty ocean water as seagulls squawked from where they'd all perched on the wooden boat dock from the previous night.

" Stop worrying so much," Grace continued.

" You're my baby, I'm always going to worry about you no matter what," Emily clarified. " This is our first time being so far apart, it's just going to take some getting used to on my end," Emily said, her voice sounding slightly saddened. " This just all feels so fast. I thought you weren't leaving for a couple more days,"

" I wasn't, but someone had to be here for the movers," Grace lied, looking over her shoulder watching movers run boxes in and out of the massive mansion.

" Why couldn't Joseph have gone? You're out there by yourself and I don't like that,"

" Mommy," Grace groaned. " Joseph has to work, you know this. I'm fine, please mom. I'm already stressed," Grace mumbled not feeling in the mood to listen to her mothers nagging. " How is Tonio?" She asked, trying to change the subject.

" He's good, he doesn't come home from school much. He's always with his college friends. You should try calling your brother sometimes," Emily retorted sassily.

" I do but he doesn't answer. He's at that weird anti-family stage where he only wants to talk and be around his friends," Grace countered making Emily laugh.

" You went through that stage too," Emily reminded making Grace playfully roll her eyes.

It was day four of being in Miami— day four of no Joseph. Grace had gotten a new phone but their conversation was still sparse. Every time they spoke he said his ETA for coming home is soon, but soon soon continued to turn into a new day.

Amelia and Grace had been in the works of developing a great friendship over the past few days. She reminded Grace of Emily and it felt like she had a little slice of back home here in Miami. She was also doing a great job at helping to distract Grace from all the external chaos which Grace appreciated greatly.

Today was the day Grace and Joseph had dubbed 'move in day' and had all of their belongings scheduled to be delivered to Miami as Joseph said he'd be home to help move by today but he still had yet to turn up.

A loud knock on the open grand front door prompted Grace to look away from her personal view of the ocean seeing a man standing in the threshold with a clipboard in hand.