49. Gut feeling

" You look so much better— how are you feeling?" Grace's Obstetrician asked as she applied the cold ultrasound gel to Grace's flat stomach.

" I'm good, I feel a lot better. I can finally hold food down again, and I'm not throwing up as much. I'm getting some sleep now too because I'm not waking up to throw up throughout the night," Grace said with a small laugh.

Her pregnancy symptoms were finally beginning to normalize. She had a very miserable and rocky start to her pregnancy. It felt like she spent more time in the bathroom sitting on the floor in front of the toilet the past two weeks than anything. She was beginning to become fearful that that's what the next seven and a half months would consist of.

" I've also been trying to change my diet, I feel like that's been really helping as well. I've been eating a lot more fresh foods. It feels lighter and easier on my stomach than how I used to eat before because I would eat anything before— I think that's why I've been throwing up less,"

" What about you dad?" The OB asked as she prepped Grace for her ultrasound, briefly pausing to turn to where Joseph sat quietly and anxiously in a chair besides Grace. " How have you been doing?"

" I'm good— I been real good. I'm excited,"

The Obstetrician smiled warmly at him. " Let's see what your little one is up to shall we?"

Grace had her hands folded at the top of her stomach as her and Joseph watched the black and white picture flat screen as her OB rolled over her stomach with the transducer.

" There it is," The Obstetrician smiled, holding the wand in place.

In the matter of a week and a half the baby had gone from looking like a peanut shaped anomaly to now having a distinct head shape and little limbs.

" That's the head, arms and legs," The OB said.

Grace felt her heart flutter as she stared at the screen feeling a feeling of happiness she'd never experienced before— a feeling of completeness. She quickly looked over at Joseph to make sure he was seeing the same. A grin stretched from ear to ear on his face as he stared at the screen looking at his child.

Suddenly, a steady beat like the sound of rushing water began to fill the room. Joseph furrowed his brows, peeling his eyes away from the screen to look at Grace's doctor. " What is that?"

" That's the heart beat— it's very strong,"

Grace let out a stifled laugh, covering her mouth as she felt her eyes begin to water listening to the babies heart beat. Perhaps it was the hormones that cued the waterworks making her burst into tears. It was the most beautiful sound she'd ever heard yet so emotionally overwhelming in the best way.

" Why are you crying?" Joseph laughed, wiping her face.

" I-I'm so happy," Grace sobbed. " I'm so sorry I can't help it," She laughed between tears making her OB laugh too as she cleaned Grace up.

" No worries honey. Everything looks good, baby looks healthy, mommy's lab work looks great. I'd estimate your due date for July fifteenth. I'm going to go ahead and schedule your next ultrasound at eighteen weeks and we can see if we can get a gender for you guys. If you two have any questions or concerns between now and your next appointment feel free to give me a call— any questions?"

" No— thank you," Joseph said.

The OB left out of the room to let Grace get herself together. Joseph grabbed her arm helping her to sit up as she swung her legs over the side of the bed with her face still in her hands.

" Baby why you cryin still," Joseph chuckled moving her hands and wiping her rosy face gently.

" I-I can't stop— I'm just so happy," Grace cried. " I'm really a mommy,"