23- Moonless night

When the art department advertises the annual art showcase, I'm not entirely thrilled. Everett though, is over the moon.

"We're submitting me." He says firmly and I groan.

His sculpture had never actually left my flat, being somewhat large and unwieldy and I had grown very accustom to its presence.

"No, Everett. I'll showcase something else." I mutter, but even as I say the words I know they're weak. His sculpture is still one of my best pieces from this year.

"Are you saying I'm not important?" He asks, holding a hand to his chest in feigned dismay.

"Yes." I deadpan and he glares at me.

"He's right, it's your best work." Joe says, passing Everett's door without even glancing up.

I frown, throwing my arms up.

"Okay what the hell? One, you can't gang up on me, and two, you don't even know what you're talking about?" I argue. Joe doesn't care, already in the kitchen and back to ignoring us.

"See? Even Joe agrees." Everett says and I scowl.

"Absolutely not." I mutter.

Two weeks later and I am reluctantly gazing at my clay replica of Everett in the showroom. It stands very prominently in a room that is almost entirely canvas work or tapestry.

My eyes flick down to the information card next to it, smiling at the simplicity.

I had decided on calling it 'Muse' and to me, it didn't need any further explanation than that.

A shadow forms over the card and I look up to find a shrewd woman examining my work. Her dark red hair is piled on top of her hair, a jaunty looking hat placed on top precariously. She's wearing a tight little suit and skirt combo, but her lapel shines due to the unrestrained wear of every brooch the woman must own.

"This is an interesting piece." She says, almost distastefully and I smile lopsidedly.

"Thanks." I say, smiling a little wider as she takes in my appearance.

"Oh, you're... Ledger Olivier?" She asks, glancing at the information card and I nod.

"Sheila Mayhugh, Fairfield Gallery, Soho." She says, retrieving a card and placing it in my hand.

"Nice to meet you." I say and she mutters a 'likewise' under her breath.

"I'd like to see a bit more of your portfolio, if it's available?" She asks and I nod, guiding her to the back of the studio.

She turns her eye over my clay pieces, hesitating a little longer on the copper.

"How invested are you in your degree, Mr Olivier?" She asks curiously and I shrug.

"I love to learn, I'm a little less fond of the essays." I admit and she almost smiles at that.

"I'd like to showcase some of your pieces. It would be temporary for now, of course, but we'd be happy to provide you accommodation, a studio and a fee for each piece that we display. If we like your work, a permanent position could be arranged." She says, so nonchalantly that I almost don't realise what she's offering.

"Excuse me?" I ask and she nods.

"We're always looking for fresh talent, new perspective. The world is evolving everyday and we're racing to keep up." She says and I swallow hesitantly, flipping her card in my fingers.

"Have a think about it. I'll email you the details." She says compellingly and I nod.

I give her my email address, stuttering a few times. She nods, reading it back to me before turning to leave.