40- Death and Taxes

"I swear to god if you move again, I am not helping. Why do you have so many lamps?" Amyas cusses, wrestling with a roll of bubble wrap as he tries and fails to wrap my antique lampshade.

I smirk at him, eliciting a middle finger from my best friend.

"I didn't want to say anything babe, but he's right. You have a problem." Everett grumbles and my smirk falls, much to Amyas' delight.

"What?!" I ask, frankly outraged.

A pen flicks against my head and I yelp.

"We don't have time for you being dramatic, Heathcliff. Keep packing." Grey orders and I scowl at him whilst Everett looks vaguely confused.

The audacity of him calling me dramatic is honestly absurd.

I watch Grey stalk around with his clipboard, neatly and efficiently ticking things off, packing them into boxes and labelling the sides. I reluctantly admit to myself that without him, Everett and I would be halfway up shit creek, sans paddle.

I continue scowling but get back to work, throwing my clothes haphazardly into my suitcase. I find a smidge of joy in Grey's pained expression, but only a smidge. I sit on the case, tugging the zip until it finally gives way.

To be fair to him, he has a right to be mad. I was supposed to have been packed up and ready to move a week ago. You can imagine the aneurysm Grey had when he knocked on my door this morning to find me canoodling with his eldest brother, not a cardboard box in sight.

Amyas plans to stay with us as soon as he can, but in the meantime has found a more than adequate place to stay in his younger brother's flat, and I couldn't be happier. Grey and Amyas get on very well and he's up visiting us nearly every weekend.

I watch Grey check his wristwatch for the third time. It's understated and relatively plain looking, you'd never guess that it cost just shy of a grand. It's safe to say that he's doing pretty fucking well for himself. I sigh, zipping up my rucksack and tugging my suitcase to the door.

"Get out of here, Grey. You'll miss dress rehearsals otherwise." I say and he exhales dramatically.

"I know. Are you sure you'll manage?" He asks and I smile lopsidedly, glancing at Everett and Amyas who are currently trying to stick tape on each others faces.

"Not entirely. But you have to go." I say and he nods, looking at his brothers with a despairing expression.

"And you'll be there this evening?" He asks, looking back to me hopefully.

Grey's debut in Les Mis is tonight. His ultimate dream becoming his reality and we were going to be there to witness it firsthand.

"We wouldn't miss it for the world." I say quietly.

He beams, tugging me close for a quick but firm squeeze.

"See you later, Ledge." He says before bounding down the stairs with seemingly endless energy.

I watch him go before turning back to the two eldest Hayes brothers.

Everett has tape all over his forehead, making him look like one of the girls from Sex and The City whilst Amyas' left side is distinctly droopy.

"You guys are idiots." I utter and they grin.

"Do me next." I blurt, smiling as they laugh.

Somehow we manage to pack all of my stuff into the jeep and unload it into our new place. My concerns about Everett had been unfounded, he had loved the place the minute we stepped foot into it.

Everett had also found a job as an engineering consultant near by, and seems to be pretty excited about it. I have absolutely no idea what that job actually entails, even now, but seeing him happy is more than enough.

We shower and change, leaving just in time for Grey's performance, which is a minor miracle. As we make our way to the theatre, my heart races with every step I take in anticipation. I haven't had a chance to see the rest of the Hayes clan since I left, a year ago, and I find my heart full and eager at the prospect of seeing them again.

I spot Luka first, his dark head of hair now towering over his mother and the twins, despite being only seventeen.

"Ledger!" He calls, his eyes widening in delight.

I wrap my arms around him, my own eyes stinging as I try and keep it together.

"It's so good to see you." I murmur.

"How have you been?" I ask, pulling away and he nods, his expression brighter than I've ever seen.

"We missed you. I see he finally grew a pair and begged you to take him back." He says, glancing at his eldest brother and laughing at the glare he receives.

I'm ambushed suddenly from both sides and I groan, laughing under my breath as I get tackled by identical heads of brown hair.

"Ledger!"

"We missed you!" The twins chime and I smile, wrapping my arms around their necks and tugging them closer.

"I missed you too." I say fondly, releasing them to come face to face with their mischievous grins.

A tap on my shoulder snaps me back to the present and I turn to find Rose in a stunning, emerald dress. I melt into her open arms, my throat tightening at the joy of her embrace.

"I knew he'd come to his senses. It's so good to have you back." She says gently and I smile, biting my lip as my eyes sting all over again.

"Likewise." I murmur, knowing she can't possibly realise just how much this means to me. I have my family back.

We catch up, exchanging memories until it's showtime. We finally traipse into the theatre together, settling into our seats with excited anticipation as the lights dim.

I feel overwhelmed for a moment and I pause, glancing around me, trying to freeze this moment in the hopes that I can make it last.

Westley is saying something stupid to Walter, making him snort, whilst Amyas is periodically smacking Luka's hand away from the bag of maltesers in his coat pocket. Rose is on the end, eyes wide as she takes in the scene in front of her, her entire face lit up with maternal pride at the thought of her son taking to the stage.

Everett's hand finds mine suddenly in the darkness. The feeling of his fingers intertwined with mine is a sensation that feels right, like it was always meant to be, the third inevitable which ties us to one another. He smiles at me softly and it's the sort of smile that promises forever. I will settle for nothing less.

He raises our hands, gently pressing his lips against my knuckles and everything falls into place. Content, calm and surrounded by love, I know that nothing else will ever compare.

Even if I lose everything, even if tomorrow never comes, this has been enough.

_

A/N

That's it! We've come to the end of HH and honestly, I'm a little heartbroken about it. This story and these characters are so alive in my mind, and I could keep the story going forever, but it wouldn't be right. This feels like a natural end for Ledger and Everett's story. For now. I'm sure there will be some bonus chapters appearing at some point because I just can't leave them alone. (Maybe even some from Everett's POV?)

I want to thank every single one of you who have read, commented and liked. It means the world. There are lots of things on the horizon, so follow me if you want to know when my next story goes live!

One last question, before I go. If I were to write it, which Hayes brother's story would you want to read next and why? 

Amyas, Grey, Westley, Walter or Luka?