32- Handmade Hero

My eyes narrow as I focus, my tongue predictably creeping past my lips to stick out as I navigate a particularly tricky part of the pattern.

"You just dropped a stitch." Cynthia says though a mass of unruly ginger frizz, her nasal voice trying to sound friendly, but only succeeding in coming across as obnoxious.

I exhale heavily, glancing at her profile hatefully. I purse my lips as I back track, picking up the fallen stitch.

I glance up and spot Grey. He's looking irritatingly put together today, wearing seamless skinny jeans and a subtle, light green floral shirt. He's smiling casually, merrily chatting away as his fingers glide effortlessly to and fro. He's knitting multicoloured hats for the premature babies born at St Ormond Street Hospital.

He makes me sick.

I look back down at my pathetic effort, a hat that somehow looks equal parts beret, chef tote and sandcastle.

I think it might be my useless superpower. Knitting weirdly shaped hats.

None of them have turned out right.

"I think that the gnome is Jeff Goldblum." Katy says and everyone looks up, me included.

"What?" Bean asks.

He's a tall, bespectacled guy who takes himself too seriously, is only enthusiastic about root vegetables and European politics and has absolutely no concept of personal space. No one is exactly sure where Bean came from, or who invited him, or what his real name is, but sure as the sun rises, he turns up every Thursday.

Katy nods very intently.

"Didn't you see the clue package? You'd never catch me in another sauna? Jurassic Park? Isla Sorna?" She says, smiling vivaciously.

"That's a bit of a reach." Cynthia says and I nod, my eyes falling to my knitting once more as I hook the next stitch onto my needle. I can feel my tongue inching out again, my concentration demanding it to do so.

"It's a good guess though Katy." Grey says optimistically and she smiles timidly at him.

I roll my eyes.

I glance back at my pattern, my mind horribly blank. Was I supposed to pearl this stitch?...Fuck, I can't remember.

"Jeff Goldblum is in the country at the moment." Mikey says.

I frown, wondering why and how Mikey knows that. Either way, the fact is irrelevant.

"There's no way Jeff Goldblum can sing like that." I mutter, my eyes still focused on my needles.

The silence eventually causes me to look up and I spot Jane looking at me deviously.

"Heathcliff watches The Masked Singer?" She asks curiously and I glare at her.

"I thought you said it was a stupid show." Katy says smugly and I sigh.

"It is. But it's all you guys ever talk about." I argue, not willing to admit in this life time that I now actively look forward to watching The Masked Singer every week.

Grey is smiling to himself, hiding it beneath a very serious expression as he suddenly focuses intently on his little wooly hat and I glare at him too.

"We can all agree that Octopus is Sean Connery, right?" Mikey says.

"Sean Connery died over a year ago." Grey says gently and I laugh as Jane visibly despairs. She gives up on her little crochet gloves, instead downing her glass of wine and pouring herself another with a resigned sigh.

She's sat on a very nice white fur rug, which doesn't bode well when paired with a bottle of Bordeaux.

"Even Heathcliff knew that." Katy says, nudging her glasses up the bridge of her nose and I take personal offence.

"I hate that stupid nickname." I tut, focusing on my knitting again.

"It suits you." Jane says and I look up to see Katy, Cynthia and Grey nodding.

"What do you mean?" I ask, flustered.

"He's a character from Wuthering Heights." Cynthia says and I roll my eyes.

"I know that." I state.

I just don't have a clue who he is or what he does.

"You have the same sort of air about you." Katy says vaguely, gesturing at me and I frown.

"What does that mean?" I ask, glancing at Bean who shrugs unhelpfully.

"Never read it." He says.

"Tragic." Jane decides thoughtfully, flicking her long blonde hair back.

"Wayward." Cynthia chips in, Katy nodding in agreement.

"Intense." Grey mutters and the girls nod.

"Fantastic." I murmur darkly, glancing up at them through my long dark hair.

"Yes! That's exactly it!" Jane says, pointing at me enthusiastically and I groan as Grey laughs.

"Shut it, Mum." I hiss and Mikey laughs.

"Mum? That's a good one, you're always fussing Grey." He says and I watch in pleasure as Grey's cheeks redden.