The Base Violence Necessary for Change

I came to a stop just outside Benzo's shop, looking inside the dark pawn shop to see it derelict. Benzo is probably gone for a few drinks in The Last Drop. I walk in, the bell of the door ringing at the same time. I took a few steps in, hearing a thud to my left. I look over, Ekko standing up properly after he jumped down from a hatch in the ceiling.

" What are you doing here?" The white haired boy asks me, looking around as he did.

" Do you know how this thing works?" I ask him, completely ignoring his question, holding up the thing I found in The Last Drop.

" Yeah, show me it." He says, coming over.

I hand him the object and he takes it, hopping over Benzo's counter. He looks me up and down, stopping at my bandaged leg. 

" You need to change that. It's too bloody." He tells me as he look back to the thing I handed him. 

I looked down at my leg, realising he was right as my once snow white bandage has almost fully dyed red.  

" Ah, it's fine." I wave off. 

He pushes a button on the side of it, the top opening up a little compartment inside. He turns around to the wall of stuff Benzo has thrown on shelves, reaching up for a peace of paper and a pencil.

" What do you wanna say?" He asks me.

" Here, just give it to me and I'll write it." I tell him and he slides the paper and pencil over to me.

I wrote a note, tipping the Sheriff off, telling her to come to Benzo's shop. I'll wait in the back. It won't take long for any Enforcers to show up, and Vi will take long saying goodbye, so I have the perfect window. I was not about to let Powder loose both me and Vi on the same day. I couldn't do that to her.

I rolled up the piece of paper, handing it to Ekko who slotted it into the open compartment before closing it. He hops back over the counter, walking over to the wall where there was this tube like thing built into it. He pushes a button just beside it and a compartment opens up. He puts the canister in, pushing the button again, making it shoot up the tube.

" How long will that take?" I question.

" It's probably already there by now. They just have to open it. Whoever you sent it to." He explains, walking around and doing a few things in the shop.

" Okay, good." I nod nervously.

I wasn't planning on Ekko being here. I don't want him here when the Enforcers show up. Hell, I didn't want Vi here, never mind Ekko who is Powder's best friend. I'm doing this for them, I don't want anyone roped in.

" Hey Ekko, Benzo sent me down here. He told me to tell you to head to The Last Drop. He has something for you." I make up an excuse for him to leave as he looks at me curiously.

" Ok, don't break anything while I'm gone or Benzo will break you neck." He jokes, making us both laugh as he goes towards the door.

" See ya Ekko." I say as he opens the door, the bell starting to ring.

" Bye Masher." He bids.

With that, he left the shop, the noise of the bell still faint. I take a breath of relief, my shoulders slumping. I make my way to the back of the shop, going into the back room. I open the door, dust blowing around in front of me as I made my way down the few creaky steps. I look around the room, only silhouettes of crates visible in the darkness.