Adoption day

Calum:
I lay next to Lilly. She's still asleep and looks so cute. Today I'm taking her to the animal shelter to look for a cat. I know how much she loves them. I whisper sweet nothings in her ears to wake her up.  She slowly opens her beautiful green eyes and looks me directly in the eye. "I'm going to take a shower." She said placing a small kiss on my nose. She takes a new set of clothes and walks into the bathroom. I hear the water run and start to get up myself.

I take black skinny jeans a grey T-shirt and an old flannel. I hear Lilly scream in the bathroom. I don't hesitate and basically slam down the door. She is sitting on top of the counter in her underwear knees pulled up to her chest. "Babe what's wrong?" I say. "There is a spider in the shower." She said, pointing at the bath tub. I giggle, I never would have thought that she'd be scared of spiders. I put a glass over it and throw the spider out the window. She smiled at me. "Thanks" she said and placed a kiss on my lips.

I walk out of the bathroom, giving Lilly some privacy while she gets ready. I make a simple breakfast, but I know she will appreciate it. After about ten minutes she walks in to the kitchen and gives me a hug. The scent of Argan oil is one I got used to when we started dating. "We are going to the pet shelter today." I said, stroking her wet hair. She looked up at me her eyes having a sparkle I hadn't seen in a while. "Are we... getting a cat?" I nodded. She smiled and kissed my lips. "I fucking love you Calum Hood." "I know that Lilly Wilson." She took the bowl of oatmeal I prepared and sat down at the table. I sat down beside her and ate my toast with Vegemite. "What are you eating?" She asked. "Just some toast with Vegemite." I said. "And that is?" She asked holding her head to the side what made her extra cute. "You don't know what Vegemite is? Don't you guys have it in Belgium." She shook her head. "Well I can't really explain it. I just had it daily as a kid." I said. "What does it taste like..." "it's quite salty." She scrunched up her nose. "And kids like it... I wouldn't have liked it as a kid." She said giggling. "What was your breakfast or lunch as a kid then?" I asked still trying to wrap my head around the fact that she didn't grew up with Vegemite or never even had it in her life. "I grew up with bread and Nutella." She said. "Do you have Nutella?" I nodded and pointed to the cabinet above the stove. She took the Nutella jar and walked back to the table taking a slice of bread. She takes the knife in her hands but quickly puts it back down. She must have a flashback or something like that. "It's alright. Do you want me to do it" I said. She nodded. I put a small amount of Nutella on one side of the bread. "Cal babe you really have to put more." She said. "Like this?" I asked and put a thick layer on it. she nodded. She folded the slice of bread so it became a sandwich and took a bite. She threw her head back. "Still tastes like I remembered." She said. "What time are we leaving." "When we finish breakfast." I said.

We are sitting in the car on our way to the adoption center. "Hey babe can I ask you something." She nodded. "I was wondering did you go to college back in Belgium. You're only 20 so I know you never graduated in college but like did you go." She shook her head. "I moved here a year after I finished high school. I was planning to go but after taking a break to try and fix my mental health I realised that there was no future for me back there" I nodded. "I hate to ask you this but did your parents know about your... suicidal thoughts." "They didn't... until they found me in the bathroom after an attempt." I started to feel bad bringing up the subject. "Something completely different have you thought of a name for the cat." She nodded. "Socks, it's a name we can use for a boy or a girl." "Cute" I said.

We just came home from the adoption shelter. We picked out a Siamese cat. He's one year old. Lilly loves him. He came up to her almost immediately after we arrived. Lilly walks over to the couch and sits down. She's pale and I can see she isn't really feeling well. "Hey babe do you need to lay down for a while." She nods and lies down on the couch. Socks spots her and immediately crawls under her arm. She smiles and strokes his head. She closes her eyes and soon soft sighs leave her lips. My gut tells me that something is wrong that she might be getting sick. Last week Ashton told me something. He told me that Lilly and I have a connection on another level. A connection that other couples we know don't really have. And I'm starting to believe that he is right.