44 - *Growing Young*

Chapter 44 – Growing Young

"Everything has to be perfect for today. I mean it, if anything goes wrong, I'm putting you in a retirement facility, Capsicle," Tony stressed, speed walking out of the aircraft hangar with Steve easily keeping up with him.

"I didn't even do anything and I'm getting attacked," Steve sighed, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Nothing goes wrong, it's Ophelia's birthday, and I will be damned if my dumbass teammates ruin what is arguably the best present I've ever given someone," Tony rapidly spoke, tapping on his device to check on Friday's programming.

"You've been planning this for the last three months. I promise you; it'll work out fine," Steve stressed, extending his arm to stop Tony from walking any further as he patted his shoulder.

"It is a really good present you know; I mean seriously, I even amaze myself sometimes," Tony mused, calming down his hyperactive movement as a smug smile crossed his face.

"And he's back," Steve grumbled under his breath.

"Mark my words, Cap. I've got the best present this year. But it won't matter if this damn surprise party doesn't go to plan, I even planned it two days before July 29th, so she gets surprised," Tony huffed, coming back to his neurotic meltdown.

"Twins, you're still on decoration duty!" Tony suddenly called out, but when a suspicious silence answered his order, he looked up from his device with narrowed eyes.

"Twins?! Wanda! Pietro! Maximoffs?! WHERE DID THEY GO?!" Tony shouted out, with his voice progressively getting more cracked as his head whipped around the empty room looking for the twins.

"They left like half an hour ago," Steve nonchalantly shrugged with his arms crossed, "Come to think of it, I think everyone decided to escape,"

A crinkle formed on Tony's forehead as he finally took notice of the fact that Steve was the only person in the room with him.

"What do you- where did they go? WHY did they go?" Tony stressed even more, his hand raking in his hair now.

"I think they just wanted a break from..." Steve trailed off, looking at the man of iron's twitching left eye, the device slightly bending in his right hand and the manic look in his eyes before vaguely waving his hand at all of Tony.

"I hate our team," Tony huffed, throwing his device down before stalking off to find his errant teammates.

"I'm still here!" Steve called out with indignation.

Meanwhile

"I'm sorry to say this, Pietro. But my tests have confirmed...that you are slow," Bruce dramatically reading.

"No. Immediately no. That is simply incorrect," Pietro vehemently denied from the powered down treadmill, ignoring the cackling of Ophelia and Wanda as she sat cross-legged on the second floor of the training space. The witch's head rested comfortably on Ophelia's lap.