four

CHAPTER FOUR
❪ stars crossed ❫

Leo ran his fingers through his long hair tiredly as Seojun tried to balance his quilt by the tip of his thumb beside him. The professor was at the chalkboard, messily writing his name down in a large font.

"Alastor Moody." He turned to the class and folded his arms behind his back. "Ex Auror – Ministry malcontent. And your new defence against the dark arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me, end of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?"

The classroom remained silent, peering up the man awkwardly to either stare at his overly bold presence or the odd eye in his head. " – When it comes to the dark arts, I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?"

"Three sir," Hermione piped up.

The professor began writing along the chalkboard under his name. "And they are so named?"

The girl visibly frowned, shifting awkwardly in her chair. "Because they are unforgivable. Use of any one of them will – "

" – Will earn you a one way ticket to Azkaban. Correct!" He turned from the chalkboard and spoke sternly. "Now the ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different! You need to know what you're up against – " His writing across the board became more aggressive as he took notes. " – You need to be prepared, you need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum other than the underside of your desk Mr Finnigan!"

The boy towards the back gasped. "No way. The old codger can see out the back of his head."

Moody spun around and chucked the piece of chalk towards Finnick, making the boy duck quickly before it could hit him. "And hear across classrooms!"

Leo rolled his lips inwards to keep himself from laughing. Seojun quickly dropped his quilt and sat up straighter to keep himself from getting yelled at next as the professor started walking down the aisle.

"So, which curse should we say first?" His eyes glazed down towards Ron. "Weasley!"

"Yes?" The boy flinched.

"Stand."

He nodded his head, his chair screeching backwards as he stood from his desk beside Harry. "Give us a curse," professor Moody asked.

"Well," Ron nodded slowly. "My dad did tell me about one. The Imperius curse."

Moody eyed him carefully. "Oh, yeah, your father would know all about that." Ron frowned and lowered his head. "Gave the Ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why."

Leo watched Ron sit back down in his seat quickly as professor Moody walked back towards the front desk. It was laid out with glass containers full of different bugs and species, one in particular holding a spider.

He reached inside and carefully lifted the spider out of its holding with a smile. It rested in the palm of his hand while he reached for his wand and whispered a spell. "Engorgio. Imperio!"

The spider grew larger in front of everyone's eyes before being flown across the room onto Dean's desk, then flying onto Goyle's head as he shook in fear. Students gasped with shock and others giggled as the professor made the creature bounce around on different students.

Leo and Seojun were laughing at others' despair before the professor had the spider land on the side of Seojuns face. The boy immediately froze before flinching back and reaching for Seonghwa in search of some help.

"Don't worry! It's completely harmless!"

The creature was now up against Draco's face as the group laughed harder, watching the boy panic and flinch in his seat.