eleven

CHAPTER ELEVEN
❪ stars crossed ❫

Leo and Hermione walked closely beside one another, hands occasionally brushing against each other, while traveling through Hogsmade.

It was the day before the final task of the Triwizard Tournament and almost everyone was on edge.

Harry spent his time with Dumbledore and Moody to cover remaining tactics that will aid himself through the final round. Rob was there to be his biggest supporter, while Hermione was on a mission to help Leo before the school year ends.

They currently stood in front of Magical Menagerie. Hermione wore curious smile on her face while also stared the shop down with a questioning gaze.

"This is going to be a monumental moment," the girl inhaled excitedly.

Leo then scratched the back of his neck with a nose scrunch. "I find this hardly necessary — I don't need an 'emotional support pet' — as Ronald calls it."

"Actually it was your sisters idea."

He side glanced Hermione before rolling his eyes with a big huff. "I'm fine. She's ridiculous."

The curly haired girl then gently shoved him towards the door. "Well why don't we just browse around! I need to find some treats for Crookshanks anyways."

They entered the store, under Leo's dismay, and it was already overwhelming full of other wizards.

He stuffed his hands deep into his coat pockets while silently following around Hermione in the store. She occasionally stopped to take a look at toys or sweaters for cats, deciding on several before moving onto the treats.

Leo let out a silent chuckle at the girl as she causally filled up her arms with random purchases.

"Here," he shook his head and took a few one by one to hold for her.

She smiled thankfully at him before disappearing into the sea of people, in search for more things to waste her coins on. But who was he to deny that girl happiness?

Something brushed up against his leg briefly for a split second before disappearing. He ignored the unwelcoming touch by scanning other items on the shelf.

He was beginning to become entirely focused on a box of cat treats that soothed anxious cats with serotonin. He raised his eyebrows, "maybe this is what I need."

Another minute went by and the feeling of something brushing up against his leg again had his full attention now.

"Yes?" He was expecting to greet a child, instinctively already glancing down due to his height, but was met with nobody.

He raised an eyebrow curiously then glanced around the area to see if anybody was messing with him. But nothing out of the ordinary was sticking out.

A bunch of young wizards and witches were in the distance laughing hysterically while choosing their own pets.

Some had owls while others had cats or some kind of creature found in the wizarding world.

Leo's arms were beginning to grew numb from holding all of Hermiones things. He started seeking her out, his eyes grazing across the crowd quickly to find her familiar curly hair.

But when something brushed up against his leg, yet again, he spun around annoyed. "Okay, who the bloody hell is doing that?"

His sharp gaze was still searching for a child to be the culprit but instead saw a baby Mooncalf hiding — yet failing — behind a rack. It's butt was sticking out like a sore thumb and it's head occasionally tilted backwards to see if he had noticed.

"Oh my — " Hermione giggled behind her hand. "Leo, he's playing with you."

Leo looked at the girl and annoyingly muttered a small, "what?"

She then kneeled down and slowly reached out her hand to offer it a warm scratch.

The creature spun around quickly and eyed her hand curiously, taking small steps while sniffing near her hand.

Leo raised an eyebrow with doubt until he watched it climb into her palm willingly with a small peep.

Hermione slowly stood up and giggled at the wild creature, bringing it closer to Leo. "It must be a runt — abandoned by its family. It's so small."

"Well it needs to find a child it's own size — "

"Leo." She scolded the boy. "Be more sensitive."

He glanced up towards the ceiling in annoyance before hissing at the girl. "I am sensitive. You told me it's why we're friends since year one."

Hermione gently scratched behind its small ears with a smile. "Can't you see? It choose you. He must've been following you around in the store. Maybe he naturally recognizing loners."

"Ha. Ha."

"She's right you know," the store clerk called out behind the counter.

Hermione glanced up at him with a smirk.

"That thing has been around for a bit now and doesn't usually come up to anybody willingly. Must be something about you that he likes!"

"He? So it's a boy?" Hermione continued to rub a finger down its back, holding it closer to her chest. "Does he have a name?"

The clerk shook his head, "he's yours if you want him. It's about time he gets out of this shop and explores the world."

Leo exhaled slowly the moment Hermione spun around to face him with a gasp. "You have to get him! It's meant to be!"

He wasn't sure if he was going to be able to take care of a pet when he occasionally forgets to feed himself. But he knows his sister would be willing to help him, she loved animals and their father never allowed them to own a pet.

"Fine. You win, but on one condition."

She nodded her head eagerly.

"We need to find him a place to go during the summer or any other holiday. Home isn't safe for him."

Hermione smiled sweetly at her friend, tilting her head to the said slightly with a rose tint covering her cheeks. "Actually, I was going to ask if you'd like to stay with me this summer. And my parents — of course. They want to take a trip to Australia and have an extra ticket, would you like to come?"

It was impossible to say no to her, if it wasn't obvious already. "Of course I would, that sounds lovely Hermione — thank you." He then reached over and gently scratched the top of the creatures head — who voluntarily allowed him to do so. "All right then, what should we name him?"

Hermione's smile grew larger as they looked down at the small thing. "What about Dal? It's Moon in Korean, yes?"

"Yes it is," he hummed proudly. "I think it fits his tiny personality."

Dal stood up taller and tilted its head with a small coo. It's large and wide green eyes stared back at them curiously. His dark short fur was soft to the touch, just as his duck like feet felt like.

Leo didn't want to admit it — but maybe this brought him inner comfort.

He was fully unaware about how much he would need in the upcoming events of the rest of his school years.