seven

CHAPTER SEVEN
❪ stars crossed ❫

"The yule ball has been a tradition of the tri-wizard tournament since its inception. On Christmas eve night we and our guests gather in the great hall for well mannered frivolity."

Leo blinked silently from across the room as his gaze lingered on Hermione. A smile was centered on her face as she listened to the girls gossip beside her. She was at least visibly excited for the dance.

Leo on the other hand, continued to think about this mornings turn of events when Lina received that dress. He knew deep down he would never receive anything from his father, he never has before; let alone it being a gift.

" – As representitives of the host school I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, and I mean this literally because the yule ball is first and foremost...a dance." A smile tugged at the corners of Mcgonagall's mouth as the boys in the room groaned in response.

"Silence." Her eyes narrowed at the individuals around the room. "The house of Godrick Griffindore has commanded the respect of the wizard world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you in the course of a single evening besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons!"

"Try saying that five times faster." Fred whispered to George from behind Leo.

"Now to dance is to let the body breathe, inside every girl a secret swan slumbers longing to burst forth and take flight."

Out the corner of Leo's eyes, he noticed Ron leaning closer to Seamus and laughing at something he just previously said before replying with his own statement. "Something's about to burst out of Hilary but I don't think it's a swan."

The room grew quiet and Mcgonagall turned around to face the red headed boy. "Inside every boy a lordly lion prepared to prance." She took one step forward in front of her student. "Mr Weasly, will you join me?"

He glanced up at the woman with wide eyes. "M-Me?"

She nodded once then grabbed his arm and pulled up forward to the center of the room. "Now, Place your right hand on my waist."

As if his eyes could get any wider, he stared at the woman in surprise. "Where?"

"My waist."

The twins whistled behind Harry and Seonghwa before mocking Ron's dancing. Leo chuckled softly to himself as Harry turned his head to face the twins. "Never gonna let him forget this are you?"

They grinned. "Never."

"Everybody come together!" Mcgonagall asked and the girls across the room all stood up. "Boys, on your feet!"

Leo got up from the bench and moved past other Gryffindor girls before spotting Hermione. He grabbed her hand and spun her around into his arms, catching her off guard with a short trip. "Wha – I didn't know you could dance?" She stared up at him in surprise.

"I'm full of surprises." He laughed, guiding her across the floor. "And I'm not an animal, besides, what kind of friend would I be if I didn't dance with you at least once?"

"Oh." She smiled softly, her eyes peering around the room to make sure the other boys weren't watching. "You're saying you won't dance with me at the ball?"

Leo cleared his throat. "Well, no, I didn't say that." He spun her outwards once before pulling her back in. "I didn't want to assume – I'm sure you have – "

"I'm only teasing," she giggled. "But if you wanted to – "

"Excellent job you two!" Mcgonagall came rushing over with a grin. "Lovely, you two would make great partners."