nine

CHAPTER NINE
❪ stars crossed ❫

"So, let me get this straight — your father gave you a letter telling you to represent your family at the Yule Ball. So instead of taking the girl you actually have feelings for, you take someone you hardly even know? Just to get into your fathers good graces?"

"That's not fair," Leo shook his head. "I do know her. Her name is Chloe and she's from Ravenclaw."

Seojun harshly slapped the back of his friend's shoulder, Leo's body launching forward but quickly catching himself. "What was that for, you twit?" His upper lip curled as he reached behind to massage the area.

"Why don't you just apologize and tell Hermione the truth?" Seojuns eyebrow raised.

The duo began walking again through the courtyard and coming near the Hogwarts wooden bridge. "Because I'm sure she hates me now," he admitted painfully. "Besides, any time I come across her, she's sitting with that bloody beast Krum."

Seojun let out a snort or amusement. "Jealous?"

"I'm just saying." Leo shot him a glare. "And Hermione doesn't need to know a single thing about my personal life. She's got her own things to worry about."

A firm hand grabbed his shoulder now, Seojun turning him around so they could face each other. "Maybe that's your issue. You shut her out without actually giving her a chance, she feels excluded from your thoughts when you're supposed to be best friends."

Leo opened his mouth but his friend quickly grabbed his face with one hand and squished his cheeks together. " — Stop being so bloody oblivious for once. And stop trying to speak for others, you might find that things aren't what they really seem."

Leo swatted his friend's hand away. "When did you suddenly become an expert at giving advice?"

He thought about it briefly before shrugging. "Just now actually. I think I had an epiphany." He backed away slowly and pointed towards the distance behind his friend. "Here's your chance now, don't blow it."

Leo spun around rather quickly and saw Hermione speaking with Harry on the bridge. Both of them indulged into their own conversation until Cedric made an appearance.

Seojun made his escape just as Hermione started to clear a path from the boys and head in the direction Seonghwa was standing. When her gaze lifted and they were almost bumping chests, she jumped backwards and went to excuse herself before he quickly grabbed her bag and pulled her backwards.

"Leo — !" It came out more as a whine but nevertheless it made his chest feel warm and fuzzy to hear that nickname.

"One minute, that's all I ask." He breathed out.

The curly haired girl slowly turned to face the boy, her gaze shifting up his tall figure as she remained silent.

His arms fell to his side and his lips dipped downwards in a small frown. "I'm sorry, for everything." Her eyebrow quirked up — waiting for him to continue as he anxiously began to pick at the skin around his nails. "I should never speak for you or assume your thoughts. I shut you out without really meaning to and never gave you a proper explanation. It was never my intention to hurt you, you're my best friend."