Save The Date

"Kids are still depressed when you dress them up

"Kids are still depressed when you dress them up. And syrup is still syrup in a sippy cup."
Sippy Cup
Melanie Martinez

"Cover the wretched tattoo. I don't want it in the photos."

George let the plump makeup artist work over his letters and numbers without protest. Both lifeless eyes remained on the outdoor setup for this announcement, the engagement.

"I know about your friends George," his father had said. "I know just how inhumane and illegal all of it is. So, I'll make it simple. You come home and let everything go back to the way it's supposed to or you go back to them and get arrested and taken into custody as a criminal. And since I'm on the case, they will end up in jail, I promise."

George bit his lip hard enough to draw blood, "I'm sorry father, I should've listened to you."

It wasn't one of George's best achievements, taking whatever his father dished at him, but who gave a fuck. George made a promise to Quackity, swore that he wouldn't be a problem to Las Nevadas and this was keeping that promise. Sitting in a suit with a shackle called a wedding band, he was keeping his fucking promise.

The second George had brought up the marriage to his father, all the rest fell away. His last few months of rebellion were forgotten and his father had smiled like he was proud. George knew he wasn't, he was only proud his plan worked out. Proud that he'd won the argument.

"Fix his hair," Genevieve's mother demanded. "It's a mess."

Like a barbie doll, the team pinned and pampered George into the Statler family's liking. Perfect hair, perfect suit, perfect skin. They loved it... all except Genevieve, she seemed far away. Her and George were one and the same.

"You look beautiful, you know," George spoke in hushed tones, keeping the rabble from hearing them. He carefully tucked a piece of hair behind Genevieve's ear revealing amethyst studs, "these earrings suit you."

"Thank you," she smiled, politely. "You know you don't have to pretend to be sweet, not with me."

"I'm not pretending, G." He tilted his head, "I think you're beautiful, always have, just not in the way they want me to. Or you wanted me to."

Genevieve's laugh was quiet and airy, "because you're gay?"

"Something like that," George huffed. "We are a cheesy rom-com, aren't we? Marrying each other while wanting to be with someone else."

"Guess so." She fixed George's lapel, "you sure you're okay with this? I don't want to force you into anything."

"You aren't the one forcing me, Genevieve." George took in her nostalgic eyes and perfect lips, George loved her once and that wouldn't change. "I made the decision. And now I'll have to live with it."