[25] Confession

"Linette, I have a really bad feeling about this." Alyssa whispered nervously, the two of us shying away in the background as the three men scurried here and there furiously.

Ares had gone absolutely nuts and had grabbed a huge hiker's backpack and was now stuffing all sorts of 'goodies' in it. This was like Halloween gone wrong. Clearly Ares was not exactly your typical mobster.

"Tell me about it. The three of them look like freaking war demons." I muttered back, easily imaging an eerie red glow emanating from their eyes. Creepy.

For one thing, they were all getting ready in pitch black darkness, and were so strangely ecstatic that I was getting increasingly worried.

Abruptly, I yawned and leaned against the wall, absolutely exhausted. What time was it? 2 o'clock in the morning? 3? Where did they get all that energy from?

Sleep was extremely tempting at this point, but I knew they had to go through with this.

Damon was Leon's best friend---and he betrayed him.

Damon had assisted in the murder of Arc, and if he didn't, he was being held hostage now. Ares obviously felt deep hatred for him.

And Marcel---considering they were in the same business and was probably deeply involved with everything, he felt responsibility, especially for his past actions. I could still see guilt on his face when he saw Leon cringe from his wounds.

Do they even realize what they're getting themselves into...?

There was a loud thud on the ground as Ares walked by.

"Oh, Ares, you dropped something---" I froze, my jaw dropping at the freaking mace lying in front of me.

"Are you serious, Ares? You planning on going to the freaking coliseum or something? Are you a gladiator?! Don't bring that sort of stuff with you!" I exclaimed.

Even in the darkness, I could see Ares' face flush as he hobbled away, the enormous weapon almost too heavy for him to carry.

"He's such a dork." I chuckled, glancing over to Alyssa with a small smile.

His behaviour was, thankfully, like usual. Marcel's attitude was somewhat frightening, but it was still Leon's dark intent that scared me the most. It was like a completely different person stuck in his body.

"Linette..." Alyssa whispered, tugging at my arm. "I think Ares..."

"Huh?" I blinked, turning around to face her. "What?" I asked, curious. Why did she look so oddly... sad?

"I think he has a thing for you." Alyssa added softly, her eyes glued to the ground.

I froze for a moment, completely surprised by her sudden revelation.

"HUH?" I gasped, absolutely shocked. "No way! He definitely does not. He thinks I'm a freaking nuisance, especially considering he tried to kill me a couple of times." I protested, folding my arms across my chest.

"Yeah, but did he actually ever kill you?" Alyssa asked.

"Well, um, no, considering I wouldn't exactly be here if he had." I added with a giggle. I didn't realize how solemn her face had become.

"Yeah, but maybe it's because he has feelings for you? He's a trained professional Linette, did you think you could get out every time on skill alone?" She asked, her shoulders slouched as she leaned against the wall.

Marcel, Leon, and Ares were all so busy that they didn't even notice the strange atmosphere that was occurring between Alyssa and I.

"Well, okay, maybe there was a few things that I did that weren't really dependent on skill..." I grimaced, recalling that I was attempting to seduce him the first time. "But still, I'm positive that those feelings are nothing more than that."