[38] Into the Darkness

after months of writers block and no internet, I finally finished this chapter.

thank you for your patience as we near the end of this long project.

thanks for sticking with me all this time :D hope you enjoy!

Raine xox

----

My voice echoed endlessly throughout the pit, resonating so deeply that I felt like my own voice was causing my body to shake. Leaping from a helicopter in Leon’s arms was one thing, but this was practically suicide.

The musty smell of earth and dust grew stronger and stronger as I descended. I wasn’t sure if I was starting to hallucinate, but I could have sworn Leon was nearby, his voice calling out to me from above.

Completely unexpectedly, my body collided with the ground, or more specifically, what seemed to be a huge pile of earth. I literally dived into it like you would into a swimming pool. It was somewhat soft and had saved me from probably breaking every bone in my body (knowing my luck) though getting earth up my nose wasn’t very romantic, considering this was the first time in ages I had seen Leon. Now covered to head in dirt and sore just about everywhere, I scrambled to my feet, slightly wavering as I tried to balance myself.

I coughed loudly, a cloud of dirt emanating from my body from the jolt. I was literally shedding dirt. Lovely.

Wiping my eyes, I tried to make sense of my surroundings, though could barely manage to even see anything but black, considering I didn’t even have a flashlight. Though I could see a small circle of light at the top of the pit from the entrance, it barely reached down this deep into the hole. I reached my hands out instinctively, inching forwards as I tried to find some sort of solid surface, or more specifically, a doorway leading out of this pit.

I flinched as my hand touched a smooth, cold surface. Though it had not been noticeable from the top of the pit, the walls were lined with what seemed to be rock, cement, or potentially even marble. I suppose that was a good sign. If in the worst-case scenario this pit had been a trap or a decoy, trying to find your way out of that…. Now that would seriously be a nightmare.

Suddenly, a loud thud behind me snapped me out of my daze. I cautiously turned around, slightly noticing the outline of a figure but unable to make out a distinct face. The figure, which had been in a crouched position (obviously landing more gracefully than I had), slowly stood up, facing towards me.

I gulped, slowly raising my hand towards the figure prudently.

“…Leon? Is that you?”

The soft chuckle in reply was music to my ears.

“Of course. You don’t honestly think I’d leave my cute little wife in a place like this, hmm?” He laughed softly, slowly walking towards me with open arms. Just by his presence, I felt like the empty darkness around me had grown a little brighter.

Just as I was about to return Leon’s hug, I retracted my arms. I turned around swiftly and faced the wall, feeling heat rise up to my cheeks.

“What’s wrong?” Leon asked, confusion in his voice. “You don’t want to hug me?”

“No, of course not, it’s just…” I mumbled. “I am so filthy right now. If you touch me, you would probably be grossed out.”

Leon paused for a moment before he started to laugh loudly, his voice echoing up the sides of the pit.

“What! I’m being serious here.” I retorted, folding my arms across my chest as I glanced back at him.

“Ha, sorry, it’s just, you’re way too damn cute.” Leon chuckled, gently flicking the back of my neck.