[40] Black Water

I slipped in and out of consciousness as we continued through the passageway, judging by the faint footsteps I could barely hear in sleep. I was now being carried by Leon, with my head comfortably resting on his shoulder as he piggy-backed me. I normally would have protested to being carried, but the exhaustion was just so overwhelming... when had I last slept, anyways?

And besides, sleeping right now was a good excuse to avoid talking to Alyssa and Marcel for a while... Alyssa would probably start teasing me and gush about Ares... and Marcel was just, well, Marcel. He had seen enough of our romantic encounters for a lifetime.

 We may have gone through a couple of other rooms, but everything in my mind seemed so muddled I felt like I was beginning to confuse my dreams with reality. 

My thoughts wandered to the countless adventures we had been encountering in this short while---the magnitude of it all was just crazy. From being your average, 19-year old to being a part of the mafia. Just thinking about the whole thing made me laugh. I had been so averse to marrying Leon, (as putting your life on the line seemed to have come with that package), but now I couldn't imagine my life without him. I may have lost a lot... but I gained a lot as well. 

It would be a little sad for this to all end... but that was the nature of this quest in the first place. 

"What do you mean dead-end? You're telling me this path lead to nowhere?" Alyssa's shrill shriek made me slowly open my eyes. Everything was dark around me as I tried to readjust my vision in the darkness.

"That can't be possible. This was the only route to go. The passage was straight the entire time through." Marcel retorted, clearly irritated. Someone clicked their tongue in response.

"Maybe there's another trick to this door." Leon suggested, trying to be optimistic. "Since they went to the effort of installing some traps this way, there's got to be something important here."

"True... well, I guess just start looking around and see if you find anything." Marcel responded, sighing softly. He was holding the flashlight now.

Now fully awake with my eyes accustomed to the dark, I could see what the dilemma was about.

The rocky corridor had literally come to an end. Though the other rock doors at least resembled panels or rock slabs, this wall was of the same texture and appearance as the surrounding walls.

"I'll help." My voice came out more strained than expected as I started to lower myself from Leon's back.

"Good morning, sweetheart." Leon beamed, gently kneeling as I stepped off from his back. He helped me steady myself and gave me a quick peck on the forehead. "Slept well?"

"Yeah." I smiled sweetly in response, intertwining my fingers with his. "Did I miss anything?"

"Not much. Pretty much just more walking and a couple of barbaric traps." Marcel retorted, pushing his glasses up his nose as he coughed loudly, probably uncomfortable with Leon and I again.

"Okay." I responded, raising my eyebrows at him as I turned towards Alyssa. "What... are you doing?"

Alyssa was standing a couple metres from us, her head turned upwards towards the ceiling as she covered her eyes with both her hands.

"Oh, hey!" She giggled, looking down for a moment before she went back to her bizarre position. "Last time I did any 'investigating' I saw that hand... if I see anything else I doubt I'll ever be able to sleep again." She laughed hesitantly, clearly being serious.

"You're right... if someone took Marcel's flashlight earlier they've got to be somewhere in here!" I exclaimed, starting to get creeped out. Could they be watching us from somewhere...?