Chapter One

"Chloe, darling. Are you ready for school?" I heard Mary's voice followed by a knock on my door.

"I'll be out in a minute, Mary." I shouted back to our maid as I quickly outlined my lips with a lip gloss. It was the first day of our senior year and I wanted to look perfect as always.

Thanks to my parents, I was blessed with good genes so I didn't have to try too much to look good. I took one final look at myself in the mirror and found a young girl with straight blonde hair and sparkling green eyes, staring right back at me.

After straightening out my crop top, I grabbed my back pack and walked out of my room. I was greeted by an empty living room as usual. My mom died when I was seven years old so it was just me and my dad but he was always away on business trips, leaving me all alone with our maid. I don't usually complain about it as I've learnt to be independent but sometimes I do miss the warmth of a family.

"I made your favourite, Chloe." Mary smile at me warmly as I sat down behind the kitchen counter to have my breakfast. She pushed a plate full of warm chocolate chip pancakes towards me and walked back inside the kitchen. She was a short woman in her early fifties and always loved me like her own daughter. She was more like a family to us and one thing about Mary is that she loves to cook and fed others. She worked as chef in an Italian restaurant before working here and because of her, I have started to like Italian cuisine so much.

"Smells delicious, Mary. I swear I'm gonna become fat if you keep feeding me like this," I complained but continued to eat happily.

"Nonsense. You look beautiful always." She replied and just then my phone started to ring. I pulled it out from my jean pocket and noticed the caller ID.

It was Cara, one of my friend.

I have a group of three friends excluding me and everyone hangs out with me only to look popular and cool as I have a certain reputation at my school. Even though I know about their intentions, I don't really mind it as I like the attention they give me. I liked being popular and it was not something I tried so hard to become. It happened on its own accord and once it happened, it was hard to stop looking cool.

"Hey, Cara." I answered the phone after a few rings.

"Hey, Chloe. Where are you? Mandy and I are waiting for you to pick us up."

"I'm on my way." I lied, rolling my eyes and Mary gave me a small chuckle from the kitchen.

"Kay. See ya, then." She cut the call and I shook my head slightly before enjoying my breakfast.

"You need better friends, Chloe." Mary called out from the kitchen, making me pout.

"What's wrong with them?"

"You know what's wrong with them. They are all so selfish and jealous of you all the time." She complained as I walked inside the kitchen to keep the plate in the sink.

She was not wrong though.

"I'll take that as a compliment." I smiled and kissed her cheeks before waving her goodbye.

I drove my car to Cara's house and I could already seem both Cara and Mandy, waiting for me outside to pick them up. Cara was tall, athletic with short dirty blonde hair and Mandy was exactly the opposite of her. She was short and had long brunette hair. I liked her the most in our gang. She was genuine, smart, loves to talk her mind and actually listens to what others have to say as well.

"You look absolutely gorgeous, girl." Cara squealed as soon as she sat inside the car.

"I know, right. I brought this top yesterday at the mall." I added, looking down at my cute white crop top.

"I wish my dad was more giving like yours," she sighed and pulled out her phone to check herself in the camera.

I wish my dad was more around like yours. I wanted to say but kept quiet. None of my friends actually know the real me. They love to hang out and click a ton of selfies with me to post on their instagram stories.

Nobody makes an effort to learn about each other these days.

"Did you hear Jenny and Brad broke up?" Mandy opened her mouth from the back seat. Cara and I both gasped in response.
Jenny was another member of our gang and she had the best relationship out of us all. I really thought they would make it through high school.

"What happened? They were so in love."

"She caught him cheating with some girl at a party. I don't think she will be coming to school today."

"Damn,I had no idea. When did she tell you?" I asked, wondering why she never came to me first.

"Didn't you check Instagram this morning? She posted for the entire school to see."

Of course!

"Yup, here it is." Cara showed me her phone where Jenny had uploaded a story of her cursing Brad.

"We could visit her after school maybe." I offered and Mandy agreed with me immediately.

"But I have a date with Charlie," Cara whined, making me glare at her. She was the most self-centred person I've ever seen.

"Alright, fine. We'll go." She rolled her eyes and I sighed in response. We finally pulled up at our school's parking lot and stepped out of the car.

I could feel everyone's eyes on me but I was used to it. We kept walking ignoring the stares and I could hear the football team whistling at us.

"Disgusting." I muttered under my breath and kept walking until we reached our lockers.

"Ever since your break up with Drew, everyone has been trying to get your attention." Mandy stated, making me groan out loud. Dylan was the captain of the football team and we had been going out for year until I broke up with him last summer. I was just not feeling that spark anymore and he was also okay with it.

"Everyone except Tyler!" Cara announced, making me scrunch my eyebrows in confusion.

"Tyler White?" I asked in a worried manner because I've been thinking about asking him out. He was hot and I heard that he doesn't have a girlfriend.

"No, the other Tyler. Tyler Cummings."

"Pffft! The nerdy one with specs? I don't care." I shut my locker and starting walking towards my first class with Mandy after waving Cara goodbye.

To be honest, I did care a little. He was a transfer student last year and we have most of our classes together but he has hardly given me a second look till now which kinda annoyed me in the beginning but then I've never seen him talking or looking at any other girl as well. He usually sits alone with his laptop everytime I see him and I have no idea what he does in it.

"Can't believe our first class of the year is Math," I groaned, earning a chuckle from Mandy beside me.

"I wonder how you end up with good grades with all the complaining." She added and I shrugged as if it was not a big deal. Just because I'm popular and attend all the parties, it doesn't mean I should flunk at school. I take my studies very serious and try my best to excel at it.

"I'm thinking about asking Tyler White out today," I took a deep breath and entered the class with Mandy. I could see that the class was fairly populated and Tyler was already seated, chatting with a group of friends. He was looking sexy as usual, wearing a white polo t-shirt and a pair of dark wash jeans, his blonde hair was mess, sticking out in all directions, making him look even more hotter. He noticed me as I entered and gave me a small smile, followed by a nod.

I smiled back at him but walked straight ahead without stopping, feeling nervous. I've never asked a guy out before. Dylan was the only guy I ever dated and he was the one who asked me out.

Is it usually this hard?

"I thought you were going to ask him out." Mandy pointed out as I sat down next to her.

"I know but it's so crowded. Maybe later," I mumbled, chewing on my bottom lip and started to think about how to ask him out without being desperate.

Soon our maths teacher entered the class, making us all go silent and just like that, I had a brilliant idea.