10 || The Outcast

Just like a light switch, Ara's tough side crumbles. She is no longer in her survival mode; instead, she's staring at the broken window. Growls and footsteps kept her awake. After Ms. Park disappeared to chase Na-Yeon, some words were thrown at each other. Human thing, someone has to be blamed on the event. She doesn't want to hear their feud, so she just isolates herself on the window.

"Can't sleep?" Su-hyeok emerges on the side, asking Ara, but his eyes never meet hers. Ara glanced back at the window. The moon shines, illuminating inside the room. "You didn't tell me you have some spice; that's cool." Su-hyeok beam to her, glancing at Ara.

"No one asks." Before Ara continued, she realized that she sounded harsh on him. "I-I'm sorry, I didn't...know-"

Su-hyeok's chuckles cut her off. "That's what I'm talking about. That's spice." Ara looked at him weirdly and soon joined him, chuckling. Su-hyeok clears his throat and seriously looks at Ara, it's like something clicks inside him, and he's been dying to ask his question. "How'd you know?"

"Mmm?"

"How'd you know that someone will turn into one of those?"

Ara stop gazing outside and look at Su-hyeok. "Oh, that. Y-you, see," Ara took a breath, clearing her stutter. "This is a virus, just like the one in the movie that Dae-Su said. It's substances versus substances or more like rabies. When the rabies virus infects a person's brain or spinal cord, it normally takes 30 to 50 days for the infection to reach the brain or spinal cord. On the other hand, this period can range from a few days to more than a year. The closer the bite is to the brain, the quicker the symptoms may manifest. But this is not just simple rabies; it develops on humans ten times faster. To a simple explanation, this is what you called zombies."

Su-hyeok gaped at her. "I see. Do you think there will be an antidote?"

Ara tense as the word antidote was spoken. "I-I don't know." She whispered. "But we will make one." Su-hyeok didn't quite catch what she said in her second sentence, so he just shrugged it off.

Ara quickly changes the subject. "The way you look at her... you love her, don't you?"

Su-hyeok looked outside, pretending he didn't know what she was talking about. "W-what?"

She giggles at his repudiation. "N-A-M-R-A," Ara spelled out, causing Su-hyeok to look at her and shushing her with his hand. "Hush, and may..be."

Su-hyeok red cheeks only confirmed Ara's reckoning. "Oi! What the hell?!" Su-hyeok cries out as he feels the stickiness on his palm, smearing his hand on his uniform to quickly dry it out. "Did she just lick my palm?" He peeks at Ara, who's laughing her heart out. It's a soft melody on his ear; the moonlight shining down on her makes her glow. His heartbeat picked up at the sight.

(Ara licking Su-hyeok's hand)