15 || The Outcast

Silence fills the rooftop; the atmosphere is heavy and so is their breathing. Their friend just fell on the right in front of them. The soldier was stiff, sobs are heard and the statics on the earpiece is silent.

"Get out of there. Our only key is now gone."

When the other line notice that the soldier is not moving, he repeats himself.

"Get out of there! She's gone and we need to find the cure!"

The soldier clenched his fist tighter on the gun, looking at the faces of the students before walking over the rope and hoisting up.

The faces of the students will never be erased from his mind. The look on Ara's face before she fell will haunt him down.

The chopper flies away from the Hyosan High school back to the base.
The group that was left on the rooftop was left petrified. All of their sacrifices for nothing. No one will come back for them.

Cheong-San quickly runs to the edge of the building. He was soon followed by the rest of the group. They can't see the ground below as it's dark.

A sob broke on Cheong-San. It's too late now, and he's beating himself self-up.

"AHHH!"

Dae-Su's scream startled them. A hand appears on the edge. 'Is that Gwi-Nam?'

The thought of Gwi-nam's back makes them stiff.

"G-guys ... A little help?"

Ara's grunts snap them out from their trance. They immediately grab her hands, pulling her in, on the rooftop.

They stumble down on the ground, staring at Ara like this seen a ghost.

"We thought..."

"W-what?"

Cheong-san steps towards me, gently lifting my chin. "Your nose, no. No. No!"

"I-it's fine. I'm fine."

"NO! It will never be fine!" I jump at the sudden shout of Cheong-San.

On-jo walks towards me. "How did this...happened?"

"The storage rooms."

"But there are no zombies there!" On-jo scream, tears are falls down her eyes.

"It's the rats. The guinea pig was infected. I'm sorry." I whispered barely breathing to avoid smelling their scent.

Su-hyeok steps towards me but I step back. "There's nothing to be sorry about."

"You won't turn. Do you see what happened to me? You'll be fine." Nam-Ra added.

I smiled at them. The urge to bite them diminished and was replaced by the thought of protecting them.

We all embrace ourselves into a group hug, sobbing at each other. They felt a droplet of rain, cold against their skin.

"It's raining. It's raining."

Their cheer of joy turned into a mess of sobs. They took this opportunity to hydrate their selves. They're losing hope, no one will come for them, no one will save them. Not long enough they settled on the small shelter that they made; they all know that they can't stay there for too long.

As the other is talking about their escape, Ara puts a distance from the rest of them which didn't go unnoticed by her friends. Su-hyeok gently put his hand on her shoulder, catching her attention.

"What do you mean?" Ara murmured, not looking at Su-hyeok.

Su-hyeok looks at the small puddle on the ground. "You know how I used to be with them? I didn't know they would go that far. I'm sorry."