Chapter 7

~1812

~1812

"You will be gone for 3 years??" Radhika was shocked when Yudhisthira told her about him pursuing higher education in the south. Yudhisthira smiled at his sister, "A new university will be opened at the Kingdom of Thiruvithamkoor [Travencore], administered by the British. Before it will be officially opened to everyone, they are running the first batch to test the education format for a couple of years. Only a few selected students have been enrolled, Radhika."

"It's run by British! And you will have to stay at their boarding house? I don't like it."

"See it this way, Radhika. By going to their university, we will have a better understanding of their thought process. We will be aware of how they think, what their vision, the mission is. Maybe someday in the future, we will be able to use this education to our benefit and beat them."

Radhika sniffed. While her naani sa, took care of all her needs, it was her brother, who had been a silent pillar of support throughout these years. She shuddered to think of her life, without him around. The only thing Radhika knew about the south was the gossip that had been doing rounds even before she was born; about a Rajkumari called Shivaranjani. The princess of the south wanted to marry her father, Raja Ratan Singh and her family had sent her marriage proposal. Since her mother's sister, Leelavati was betrothed to her father, the proposal was rejected. There were weird rumors that Shivaranjani had learned black magic and led Yudhisthira's mother to death. Nobody was able to find the estranged princess of the south after Meenvati's marriage to Raja Ratan Singh.

Radhika shivered at the thought of Yudhisthira going to the south. "You will be gone for 3 long years! How will you survive in the south? What if someone tries to harm you?"

Yudhisthira laughed. Pulling his dear sister's cheeks, he spoke, "Chote Thakur will be with me, my darling sister. Mohan is also one of the selected students."

Yudhisthira was summoned by Raja Ratan Singh and he left her assuring her that he would be fine. However, after hearing Mohan would be away too, Radhika was more worried than before. She could feel her heart thud against her chest erratically.

"Your absence in Rudragarh will be terribly felt. You must come soon.. And will you write me letters?" Avantika asked as an impatient Mohan stood in the corridor. He was rushing to meet Radhika when the other twin approached him.

Mohan nodded at her, "Thank you Rajkumari Avantika."

He was about to leave when she stopped him holding his arm. A surprised Mohan looked up to meet her eyes. "You didn't respond to my request, write me letters please?"

There was something in Avantika's face that always managed to charm him. He was sure that he wasn't attracted to her. He was also sure that he didn't like her the way he liked Radhika. Then what was it that was tethering him to her?