Chapter 47

The Haldi ceremony, alternatively referred to as the Pitthi Dastoor ritual, unfolded energetically at the opulent resort chosen by Tejas's family for the wedding festivities

The Haldi ceremony, alternatively referred to as the Pitthi Dastoor ritual, unfolded energetically at the opulent resort chosen by Tejas's family for the wedding festivities. The venue featured numerous extravagant duplex cottages, a golf course, and an expansive backyard housing a magnificent gazebo. Additionally, a five-story lodging building stood on the premises, topped with a banquet hall. The rooftop of this building had a majestic water tank against which, the name of the resort stood sparkling with neon lights.

The week-long festivities leading to the big fat royal wedding had already begun. Haldi and Mehndi events for both bride and groom are held at different locations within the resort. Aastha and Veer joyously participated in the event along with Tejas's family, smearing Haldi on his face, hands, and legs.

Vaishali, Aastha's aunt who was walking around the venue chit-chatting with the guests was approached by a young man who was assigned by Sri Vedavyas Shastri to keep an eye out for anything unholy. Sri Vedavyas Shastri had sensed something sinister was going to occur and hence he had assigned a few of his disciples to oversee the events. They also needed to find Rani, and his instincts told him that she was going to be there at the venue. 

 "We have a problem." the young man expressed, prompting Vaishali to excuse herself from the guests for a private conversation.

"What's the matter, Shubham Pandit Ji?" Vaishali inquired concerned.

Shubham held open a small grocery bag that he was carrying. Inside, Vaishali saw a bunch of hex bags. "I found these hidden all over the venue. There are more."

Vaishali was shocked. "Where are the others?"

"They found them too. They are still looking around," replied Shubham.

Vaishali rubbed her temples in worry. "Okay, I will see what I can do. You guys keep an eye out."

Shubham nodded reassuringly before making walking away. Vaishali quickly located her mother, Gouri Devi, who was seated with Tejas's grandmother. 

Gouri Devi sighed worriedly. "We need to tighten the security." She said and the two women approached the event coordinator. Without divulging any specifics they ordered the coordinator to increase the security measures and monitor guests closely. Anything suspicious or anyone with an unverified identity must be detained immediately.

"I do not have a good feeling about this," Vaishali mumbled looking around her. "Neither do I." Gouri Devi said and then continued, "Let's do everything that we possibly can to protect our family. Okay?"

***

As the Haldi ceremony drew to a close, Aastha and her cousins scurried off to change for the Mehndi event. Just as Aastha entered her room, someone grabbed her arm and nuzzled against the crook of her neck. Startled, Aastha let out a yelp, only for Veer to close her mouth with his palm. "Sshhh. It's me."