Chapter 8

Chapter 8

~1815

"I don't understand, why are you always here in the tower Rajkumari?" One of Radhika's maids, Paakhi asked her. For the past 3 years, Paakhi had observed that Radhika always wandered off towards the fort's tower, sitting inside the dome of the turret and watching over the horizon.

Radhika smiled, "Come here, Paakhi. Let me show you."

Paakhi did as instructed and stood inside the turret. Radhika went behind Paakhi and pointed towards the far end of the borders. "From here, you see the entire Rudragarh and you will be the first one to know when someone enters Rudragarh."

Radhika was right, Paakhi was able to see the pond outside the fort, the royal check post, a British office that was under construction, the farmer's market, houses of the noblemen with intricate roofs, huts of the peasants at the far corner, the muddy pathways that led to the distant regions, and finally, the borders of Rudragarh. "You are right Rajkumari. You see everything from here! I can even see a troop entering the city." Paakhi giggled.

With a frown, Radhika moved ahead of Paakhi and squinted her eyes. Paakhi was right, a huge troop was entering Rudragarh. Radhika pulled out the small binoculars she had kept aside. Viewing through it, she found her brother's horse and adjacent to it, Mohan's. While it was difficult to identify the men, Radhika found it easier to identify the horses with their distinctive traits.

Radhika's breath hitched against her throat as she felt the overwhelming rush of emotions. She had to pinch herself to know if it was a dream or reality. Mohan was back.

As if sensing her presence, Mohan pulled the reins of his horse and looked up. Radhika gasped when she saw the horse had come to standstill. Even after keeping aside her binoculars, Radhika could feel his eyes on her. He lingered for a minute before he pulled the reigns harder and raced towards Rudragarh.

"Everyone on alert! The first son of Maharaj Ratan Rajveer Singh, the Yuvraj of Malavar- Kunwar Yudhisthira Rajveer Singh is arriving!!" A royal announcement was made. Staggering back, Radhika's happiness knew no bounds.

"Rajkumari! Your brother is here. Come on, let me get you ready for the welcoming ceremony!" Paakhi beamed.

Radhika's smile withered a little, she looked sadly at Paakhi, "Don't you know Paakhi, Rani sa, keeps me away from such festivities."

The maid bit her tongue, mentally slapping herself. "It's okay, Paakhi. I.. will be in the music room... I will meet Yudhisthira bhai sa once everyone is done greeting him."

With that Radhika turned on her heels and ran away. She was happy her brother had returned safe and sound. How she was treated in the palace didn't affect her anymore. She had adjusted herself to the life that was bestowed upon her. As she ran through the corridors of Zenan mahal and towards the music room at the far south, Radhika felt as if she was flying through the clouds. She had waited for this moment, for 3 long years. Mohan was back.