Chapter 14

"Sadie?"

I glanced behind me to see Ally standing there.

Jazmine and Sierra glanced at me. "We'll leave you two alone."

As I watched them walk off, I halfway wanted to scream, "No, don't leave me with her!" But I knew that would probably get me kicked out, so I held my tongue.

"Hi," Ally said, twiddling her thumbs.

"Hey," I said, looking at the floor, careful not to meet Ally's eyes.

"I'm sorry," Ally whispered. "Look, I don't expect us to be instant BFFs. We don't even have to be friends if you don't want to. I'm just asking if we can be less than enemies. So... I'm sorry."

I sucked in a breath. "I..." I averted my eyes, swallowing the lump in my throat. So I touched my tongue to the roof of my mouth and said, "I forgive you. And... I'm sorry too. I was a bit of a jerk."

Ally smiled a little. "That's okay. I hope we can be friends."

I smiled a little. "Yeah. Yeah, that would be cool."

"Awesome," Ally said.

"Thanks for that," I cracked a small smile and walk off to join Charlotte, Sierra, and Jazmine.

"Hey!" I call out happily, walking in, dropping my backpack on the floor next to me.

"Shush," Mom said, walking out of the kitchen. "Your sister's sleeping. She's been in pain all day. I need you to watch Gabby and make sure Richelle has everything she needs if she wakes up. It's just for a little bit. I'm going to the store."

"Oh," I stammered. "Uh-okay."

"Thank you," Mom kissed the top of my head. "Love you, baby."

"Love you," I called awkwardly.

Then she left. I sighed, walking down the hall. I knocked lightly on Gabby's open door. "Mom went to the store."

Gabby looked up at me. "Do I look like I care?"

I rolled my eyes at my obstinate sister. "Whatever."

"Get out," Gabby said.

"Geez, cranky pants," I muttered, walking out.

I poked my head into Richelle's room.

"Hey, Sadie."

"Hey," I said, walking in. "Did I wake you up?"

Richelle shook her head. "No." Her voice was weak and painful.

"Do you need anything?" I asked.

"No," Richelle said. "Mom gave me all the painkillers I'm allowed."

"So nothing else?" I asked. "Water, food...?"

"Stay with me?" Richelle asked hopefully.

I raised my eyebrows. "Really?"

"I know I don't ask for that a lot," Richelle said.

"You've never asked for that," I snorted.

Richelle laughed a little. "Fair enough, I suppose. But I'm asking for it now. Please?"

I sat down in her desk chair. "How is it?"

"Not great," Richelle replied. "It hurts. I've gotten used to pain, just not this kind of pain. I know my leg's gone, but there's like, this burning sensation where my big toe would've been. It's like someone touched it with a hot rod and held it there. They warned me about phantom pain, I just didn't think it would be like this."