Chapter 16

"Hey, Char," A man said, walking in. "Let's go." He nodded to me. "Hi, Sadie."

"Hi," I replied. Daniel.

"Bye!" Charlotte called behind her as she walked off with her dad.

"Girls, we need to go," Mrs. Johnson announced seriously as she came in.

Sierra, Jazmynn, and I exchanged a look. Uh-oh.

"There are reporters out there, and if we're not careful Sadie could get caught up in this mess," Mrs. Johnson said. "We need to leave now."

When we opened the church doors a wave of noise met us. Camera lights flashed at a man who looked like my dad when Richelle was in the hospital. Tired and crumpled. Still, he had his arm around Charlotte protectively as he stared the reporters in the eyes.

Charlotte's blue eyes were frightened and she looked at all the reporters nervously.

"I'll be happy to give you a statement at my office tomorrow," the man, who had to be Charlotte's dad, Daniel said. "But right now I need to get my daughter home."

"Daniel, can we-"

"Mr. Griffin is it possible to get-"

"Excuse me, Mr. Griffin-"

Daniel wouldn't respond to any of them, instead, he worked on weaving his way in between them, holding tight to Charlotte's small hand.

Mrs. Johnson led us out against the back wall, the one farthest away from the reporters. That was when a reporter saw me.

"Are you Sadie Cleveland?" the reporter asked, holding her notebook.

I shook my head violently, but I guess I looked too much like myself because reporters started crowding around me, yelling for attention.

"She's not taking any questions!" Mrs. Johnson yelled.

That didn't stop them.

"Ms. Cleveland, can you give us a statement?" A reporter asked, shoving a microphone in my face.

"I don't know what a statement is," I lied.

"And she will not be giving one," Mrs. Johnson said, pushing past some of the reporters.

That didn't stop them from asking, and asking, and asking. All the way to the car. Finally, they cleared out when we got in the car, but it took about twenty minutes just to get to the car.

My gut churned as I paced inside, my knees shaking. I was going to be in so much trouble with my parents.

"Sadie Grace," Dad said sharply.

I looked down.

"Sit down," Dad said sharply. "Now."

I sighed and sat down, preparing myself for the horrid fate I may or may not meet.

"Sadie, did you know Daniel's daughter was in camp?" Mom asked, her tone stern, her voice dangerously low.

I fidgeted nervously. "Yes, we found out Charlotte was coming when Lydia showed us around."

"Why didn't you tell us?" Dad asked. I could tell he was tired and at his wit's end.
I sucked in a breath. "Because I wanted to meet her," I said. "Charlotte- Charlotte is special. When I saw her blue eyes sparkle it reminded me of..." I let out a shaky breath. "It reminded me of Richelle. And I just had to meet her. Charlotte's twin sister is dying. She's...alone, or she feels like it. And I'm about the only one she can relate to. I just wanted to be her friend."

"Sadie, even if it's for good you cannot keep secrets from us," Mom said. "Our job is to keep you safe. We can't do that if you don't tell us these things."

I dropped my head. "I know. I'm sorry."

"I'm glad you're sorry," Mom said. "But we're still going to have to punish you. You can't keep secrets from us."

I sighed. "Yes ma'am."

"I want your phone," Dad said.

Dutifully, I handed it over.

Mom looked at Dad and they had one of those parent conversations without any words.

"And you're not going to camp anymore," Mom said.

"What?" My voice cracked at the end. "That's not fair! I just wanted to meet Charlotte!"

"Doesn't matter," Dad said sternly. "You broke a rule. And I don't want you anywhere near this case. Not with Shane being like he is. Am I clear?"

"But-"

"It's not up for debate," Dad said. "Am I clear?"

I dropped my head. "Yes sir."

Dad nodded. "Good. You can go now."

I walked down the hall and glanced into my sister's room. She was lying in bed, her leg propped up with pillows, her face scrunched up in pain.

"Richelle?"

"Get out."

"Richelle, are you okay?" I asked, concerned.

"Sadie, get out," Richelle snapped.

"I-"

"You have three seconds to get out of my room before I start throwing stuff," Richelle snapped. She picked up a rock off of her headboard threateningly.

"Gosh, chill," I said, walking off. "Drama queen," I muttered, walking off.

Whatever.