:: 14

Hospital, an institution providing medical and surgical treatment and nursing care for sick or injured people.

Xiao looked at his phone to see multiple notifications coming from the 3 different people he was just with. He quickly texted one of them, saying his location and closed his phone again.

Before he was able to go in, the doctor immediately instructed the nurses carry him onto the bed as the Doctor walked towards him.

"Do you know him?"

Xiao nodded his head to his question as the doctor guided him into the room. "It seems like he passed out of hunger." He continued. "Have you ever heard of Fatal Familial Insomnia?"

Xiao heard of it before, he never really researched about it since it had nothing to do with him. Up until now.

"It's where a mutation of a gene causes an attack on the part of the brain, it controls the sleep cycles. You will gradually lose nerve cells which leads to the symptoms of FFI."

He couldn't wrap his brain around this new piece of information. It was too much. Xiao started panicking in his head. "Will he be okay?"

The doctor sighed once again. "I kept telling that boy that he should start staying in the hospital a month ago but he wanted to hold on a little longer and I now see why." The doctor stopped for a bit, feeling hesitant before talking again.

"You're dating him, correct?"

"You don't need to know."

"I see, I'm right. He's moving to room 168."

The doctor and Xiao started walking towards the elevator to see Venti. "When did he start coming to the hospital?"

The doctor looked at his clipboard and flipped through a few pages. "A few months ago, he mentioned that he wasn't able to sleep properly." He read a few more notes. "We allowed him to stay in his dorms. But we can't do that any longer, I'm afraid it's worsening. Last week I confirmed that he does have FFI ."

"How long would it take for him to be cured?"

A sigh was heard from the latter. "I'm sorry if I'm being blunt about this but unfortunately, death happens within a year or two of symptoms."

This statement made Xiao's eyes widen. He's not really going to die is he? His eyes became shaky and he noticeably started walking faster to the room where his lover was located. "You can't be serious."