Chapter 23 - The real escape

...And it happened. Shit went down. I stood in the hallway, calmly watching the demons run around and destroy the farms. All the children will be unharmed, of course, but Ava and her people better watch out.

If you're wondering what I did exactly, it's pretty simple. I just used all the Blood Marine 3 I could find and drugged the demons with it.

Then I gave them orders: kill Ava and everyone who is on her side. Except me, of course. And save all the kids.

Oh, yeah, speaking of kids. I better get my siblings before something happens to them.

-Hey guys! Guess who is finally getting us out of this hellhole! -I cheered as I burst into the room.

-Rhea! What the hell is going on!? -Ray looked around, shocked.

-Oh, nothing. I just drugged the demons and made them obey me. Now, let's go back home.

I casually picked the younger ones up and guided everyone towards the door. Confused and scared, but somewhat happy, they followed me.

Ray, of course, had to question me and get all the info.

-What do you mean you drugged the demons? How long will it last? Where's Ava?

-Honey. Please shut the heck up. -I smiled. -I'll explain everything as soon as we get back to the human world.

-So... We don't have to worry about demons or Mamas or anyone like that? -Don asked.

-Nope. They're all getting murdered as we speak.

-What!? Is it really okay to leave them like this!? -the one who wanted justice for everyone was, obviously, Emma.

I stroked her hair and shook my head.

-Don't think about it, Redhead. This ain't about them.

Nobody said anything all the way to the main exit. That's where I remembered something.

-Alright, you guys go ahead. I'll catch up in a minute.

-Wait, Rhea! Why are you staying? -Norman asked, worried.

Ray looked at me with terror, expecting the worst.

-No, no, don't worry, sweethearts. I'm not planning to die here, I'm not Emo Boy.

Ray sighed with annoyance. I'm not sure why, but it comforted me.

-I just want to have one last conversation with Ava. See you guys in a moment!

Ignoring my siblings' protests, I went back to the main building.

There she was, lying on the floor, blood splattered around her. But she was still alive, desperately crawling towards the stairs.

My Tangerine.

-Hi. How's the weather down there? -I asked playfully as I stepped on her hand, causing her more pain.

-Rhea... -she panted. -I should've known... You lying snake!

-I may be a lying snake, sure, but at least I don't force children to be guinea pigs and raise mutant kids only so they can be killed and eaten.

-You said you understand me! I just wanted to... Finish my mother's job!

-You didn't have to. You were smart and strong enough to escape this place and live peacefully in the human world with us, but you chose this instead. You care more about your pride than anything else, huh?

-Yes... Yes I do. And in case you haven't noticed, you can't suddenly make me feel bad about my farms after all the work and time I spent on them!

-I know. That's why I decided to kill you instead of trying to reason with you.