Chapter 6 - Congratulations

The next day Ray decided to tell us his plan.

-I'll distract Mama while Norman and Emma check what's behind the wall and...

-Woah, hold up! -I cut him off. -You don't have to check it. There's just a cliff.

Everyone looked at me shocked.

-Yeah, but don't worry. If my siblings escaped, we will escape too. Liliana will help us out.

-... Will it really be okay? -Gilda asked worriedly.

-It'll be fine. So like I said, don't go to the wall. It will only cause trouble.

-But wouldn't it be better to check and find out how exactly your siblings escaped? -Ray asked.

-No, Emo Boy. We can wait for them to come back and tell us themselves. Now, lunch will be ready soon so I'll see you guys later.

I went inside, ignoring the annoyance on Ray's face.

-Thank you for the food. -Mama said.
-Thank you for the food! -everyone repeated.

-Huh? Where's Krone? -Jemima asked. -Mama said she had work to do! -Phil answered.

I was right. Mama doesn't need her anymore. Oh, this will be satisfying. I finished eating before anyone else and rushed outside. I wanted to see it. Sister Krone's last moment.

I slowed down near the gate and peeked. There she was, held by a giant monster, the flower getting closer and closer to her chest. So that's how it looks, an animal struggling to survive no matter what. Interesting.

Sister screamed in pain as the flower piercer her body. It began sucking her blood, but she still tried to get up and save herself. Her eyes turned darker and glassy. Her skin turned pale grey. Finally, she stopped struggling, only chest was going up and down desperately.

How interesting.... How interesting....

Krone's eyes were almost completely lifeless. It's only a matter of seconds now. I think she saw me for a moment.

-Sweet dreams... -I mouthed.

The bell rang and all the other kids went outside as well. I sat under a tree with the trio and began chatting.

-You seem way more cheerful than usual, Rhea. -Emma pointed out.

-...I just had a nice time here all by myself. -I answered with a smile.

Later on, Naila and Marnya went up to me.
-Rhea! Will you play house with us? Pretty pleaseee~!

-Heh. Okay, okay. -I said. -As for you, Stupid Trio... Don't do anything reckless.

-Sure. We won't. -Ray said.

Huh?! He's lying! Don't tell me they're going to check the wall after all?

Ray noticed my suprise and quickly entered the house with Emma and Norman.

Stupid Trio...

While I was playing with the girls, I saw Don and Gilda just standing outside and looking at one of the windows. When they realised I'm staring at them, they began talking, but it was all fake. Then Mama walked out the house with the tracker in her hand. Seeing that, Don rushed into the house. This was my chance to make Gilda spill it.

-Four-eyes. What's going on? Where did Weirdo go?

-Rhea...! So you suspected us after all...

-Of course I did. I sensed Ray lying. Did Emma and Norman go to the wall?

Gilda turned away, looking unsure. She gasped as I grabbed her shoulders.

-If you want Emma and Norman to be safe, you'll have to tell me the truth, Four-eyes.

-...Yes! Yes, they went to the wall...

-That's a good girl. -I praised Gilda and went to the wall myself.

Those idiots. I told them not to go there, but of course they never listen.

In the middle of the forest I heard a loud crack and Emma's scream. I rushed behind the fence and saw that Mama broke Emma's leg.

Wait, so Emma was screaming so bad just because of a broken bone? Such a whiner.

Ray, Don and Gilda also arrived while Mama was comforting Emma.

-You won't be able to move for a while. -Mama said. -Stay put and celebrate tomorrow, Emma.

-Tomorrow?

-Yes. Congratulations, Norman. Your shipment date has been set.

...Ah, shit.

Later that day, I was in the infirmary with Redhead. Emo Boy rushed in.

-We're going to help Norman escape. -he said

-Before we start our plan. -I interrupted. -Could I just say I told you so!? Why did you guys go to the wall when I told you not to? Now Emma has a broken leg because of that.

-What else were we supposed to do!? -Ray snapped. -Just do nothing and wait forever for that Liliana of yours!? She's gone for 8 years now, isn't that right!? They might all be dead by now!

After a bit of awkward silence, I smiled at him.

-You know what, Ray? Now that you said something so cruel, I can't wait to see your face when Liliana comes back. Anyway, my throat is kinda dry, so wait here while I get some water.

I closed the door behind me. It's fine, even if Ray doesn't believe in Liliana and Norman is supposed to be shipped tomorrow. I mean, sure, we're in a bad situation, I'd rather die myself than see one of my best friend being shipped, but... I dunno, my intuition just keeps telling me not to worry. I feel like a miracle is about to happen... I wonder if I'm right? Well, I probably am. I hate to brag, but I'm kinda used to being the best premium kid.

I stopped suddenly. Norman was there. Near the tap, shaking and breathing sharply. No wonder he's afraid. But what should I do now? On the  first hand, I should comfort him as his friend, on the other hand, he probably doesn't want anyone to see him so scared. Not to mention that I want some water and I am not leaving without it, but it will be hella awkward if I just pour some water and leave while he's there, freaking out. What should I... Ah, fuck it!

-Norman? -I asked softly.

The boy flinched and turned to me.

-Rhea...!? I... Don't worry, I'm fine. -he began to tear up and his voice cracked.

Seeing him like that made me feel bad. I never saw Norman that way before... I guess that even though he's got a keen intellect, he's still so fragile. Both physically and emotionally.

I sighed.

-Shh... It's okay, Softie. -I said, patting his head. -You're not going to die. We'll help you escape by yourself.

-N-No, I can't do that... If I... If I e-escape, you or Emma or Ray might be shipped instead.

-We won't. You just have to believe in our plan.

-But...

-Norman. -I said sternly. -You can be stubborn at times, but you can't be stubborn enough to accept THIS kind of fate. You know what happened to Krone? She was killed. During lunch. I went outside before you guys cause I wanted to see her death.

-You... You wanted what...? -Norman stared at me like I was crazy.

-You know how it looked? That goddamn flower pierced her chest and it was sucking the blood out of her heart. Can you imagine the pain?

-Stop...! -Norman covered his ears. -I don't want to hear it!

-I know. And I bet you don't want to experience it, either. Right?

-....Okay, fine. I'll escape.

-Good boy. -I said picking him up and carrying him to the infirmary. I sensed him lying, but I'll make sure he escapes for real.