4. Kisses and Misses

"What are you doing?"

The thought was screaming itself throughout his entire cranium as his lips remained in place on hers. The kiss - which felt like it lasted forever to Jungkook - only in reality probably lasted a second or two. He soon felt her hands on his chest, shoving him away.

"What are you doing?" she asked, giving voice to the same thought that was still echoing in his head.

"I..."

Jungkook didn't have a good answer for that. He didn't know what had compelled him to lean forward and kiss her. She had just teased him about that being what he wanted that whole time, and here he had done it. She kept staring at him for a moment, looking like she was unsure of it all herself. Either that or she was still studying his recently revealed face.

"That's it. I demand a name."

"A name?"

"Yes. A name. If you're going to kiss me out of the blue like that, you owe me that at the very least."

"But I can't..."

"You can. You won't. There's a difference. You said you wouldn't because that would make me attached to you, but do you really think that a kiss won't do that for me?"

"I..um..."

"And here I thought you were eloquent with words."

Jungkook had never felt the feelings he was currently feeling. He felt breathless almost; his chest aching. This seemed to be a night of firsts for him. He had never been so interested in a woman, and he had never shared a kiss with anyone. A kiss seemed to stir up feelings within a person. It was like an adrenaline rush that left one on a massive high before slowly bringing them back down to reality. No wonder mortals were so desperate to love; so desperate to have that high. It was a feeling that couldn't be beat.

Wait. Love? Jungkook felt his heart thud faster in his chest. Did he just compare how he was feeling with the feeling of love? He was very confused by the state of things as they stood right now that it took him a moment to realize that Ame had given up on him and had started to walk off towards where she lived by herself.

"Wait up..." He said, wondering why he was chasing after her instead of just letting her go on her way.

"Why? So you can steal another kiss like some sort of kissing bandit?"

"I'm not like that. I will tell you my name, okay? I promise. My name is..."

"Seriously?!"

Pulling up short, Jungkook turned to look behind him to see that Taehyung had suddenly appeared and had been the one to interrupt his admission. Taehyung was currently holding the hand of the woman Jungkook had made fall for him earlier in the evening. When Ame - who had also stopped her walking when she heard Taehyung's voice - looked at the woman he was holding hands with, her face went as red as the dress she was wearing.

"Ruby?"

Jungkook was surprised that Ame knew who this 'Lonely Hearts' woman from earlier was. He watched as Ame walked right past him, and over to Ruby. She grabbed Ruby's hand, tugging her free from Taehyung's grasp. 

"Who is this man you're with?" Ame asked.

"I don't know his name," said Ruby as she turned from Ame to look over at Taehyung. "But isn't he a dream boat?"

"Perhaps, but he's a dream boat that's about to end up like the Titanic," said Ame as she sent daggers Taehyung's way. "Keep your hands off my sister."

Taehyung - who was still wearing his mask - made it more than obvious to Ame that he knew her mysterious man. The irritation that she was feeling was only continuing to grow. Jungkook could sense it from where he was standing.

"So is this what you do then?" Ame asked as she turned back to face Jungkook. "You and your buddy here play games with people's hearts for a night, and then disappear as nameless cowards?"

Jungkook didn't know what to say as he watched Ame storm past him with Ruby in tow.

"Don't follow me," Ame said to Jungkook. "Disappear back to whatever pathetic hole you've come out of."

Jungkook watched Ame walk further and further away from him; Ruby looking longingly back at Taehyung. Soon they both disappeared from view.

Standing there, Jungkook wasn't sure how he was supposed to be feeling at that moment. As he continued to stand there, Taehyung walked up to him. He placed a hand on Jungkook's shoulder, gripping it slightly.

"Do I even dare ask what just happened between you two?"

Jungkook didn't reply, which gave Taehyung pause. Usually Jungkook would have told him to shut up or to keep his opinions to himself.

"Should we get going?" asked Taehyung, trying to snap Jungkook out of whatever funk he was currently in. "The night is fading fast."

"No," said Jungkook finally, looking over at Taehyung. "Not yet. She...she has already been hurt once this evening. I can't leave before trying to fix what just happened."

"And how do you even propose on doing that?"

But Jungkook didn't answer. He was already running off down the path after Ame. Taehyung watched as Jungkook disappeared from view before looking down at the ground to see the masquerade mask that had been discarded just a few minutes before he arrived. He bent down to pick it up and held it in his hands, sighing.

When they got back home, Taehyung knew that the both of them would have a lot to answer for.