Chapter 1

Hooves beating against damp earth rang in my ear as I rode back to Oxford on that misty morning. Few things thrilled me more than drinking in the crisp air scented with hints of dew-kissed grass and bark from the forests that could roam where they willed; how I envied them. It smelled nothing like the sea, which was the reason I loved it so.

I arrived at the house with my spirits high as the rising sun. Over the years, Oxford had grown on me, even though I was initially reluctant to make it my alma mater. But the city and the university had charmed me in more ways than one. The thought of leaving was too painful to entertain, yet it gnawed at me in my unguarded moments. My time there was quickly slipping away like sand in an hourglass, but I was resolved to stay for as long as my tactics would allow.

As I made my way upstairs, the smell of freshly baked bread greeted me, which caused my stomach to rumble. In my haste to ride, I had once again neglected my breakfast. So I snuck over to the kitchen, tiptoed in, and grabbed two rolls out of the pan on the counter. Then flew up the stairs in a flash. Had Cook seen me, she would have given me a sermon about my breakfast-skipping vice--something about catching some mysterious illness, no doubt.

I swung my door open and devoured the last roll. My room was in the same state I had left it in, which meant I would soon be paid a visit. As I washed my face in the basin, two firm raps sounded on the door.

"You may come in, Blaine." I reached for a towel.

"Good morning, my lord." The old Jamaican butler bowed.

The letter in his gloved hand caught my eye, causing me to sigh. "I suppose it was. Kindly add it to the pile, Blaine." I gestured to the desk. "I'll read it later--"

"The letter from Villaford Park as well?" he interrupted.

"No. I should read that one straight away--it could be important."

"Yes, my lord." He handed it to me and placed the other one on the desk.

Even though I already knew what the letter said, I suppressed a smile while reading its contents.

"Please have my blue tailcoat prepared, Blaine," I said.

"Your best one, my lord?"

"Indeed."

"And I presume you will be wanting your cravat starched as well."

"I swear, Blaine, most days I believe you to be a diviner who merely dresses like a butler."

"Tea leaves, my lord; they say much and more. Though, if I may, there are times when I swear that Mr. and Mrs. Parra have another daughter whose hand you would like to secure."

I smirked. "It has more to do with looking my best while riding through town; it gives the mothers something to talk about-they do enjoy that. And as we both know, there isn't another Miss Parra waiting to be married."

"Yes, my lord. Of that I am aware." He smiled. "With the time that remains, would it be possible for you to read your father's letter, my lord? The sooner the reply is posted, the better I find. Besides, it seems Count Marcliff had much to say; the envelope is quite heavy, and he took it upon himself to seal it twice."

"I'm all but certain its contents are not substantially different from the letters that came before it. Without a doubt, the central theme is still urgently requesting my return to Caylington Hall. The extra ink was likely spilled on the new stallion and mare he purchased for me--which I was apparently in need of. Or perhaps he's providing me with the details of the grand ball he insists on throwing to celebrate the completion of my studies. I trust that in your last reply, you mentioned my request to have a small dinner instead."

"Yes, of course, my lord."

"Thank you."

"The honour was mine, my lord--but I do think it would be wise to read your father's letter before you leave."

"It severely lacks legs, so I'm certain it will still be on my desk when I return. But you may go ahead and write the usual response."

"Yes, my lord, but you are running out of friends to say goodbye to; most are gone home. Surely your father will become aware of that fact soon enough."

"Perhaps. But he is not yet aware of it, and we'll try to maintain that façade until it crumbles. Feel free to insert any other excuse you can fancy to buy us more time."

"I will do my best, my lord."

"That I know for certain, Blaine; thank you."

"You flatter me, my lord. I will do as you have asked. However, I shall not post the reply until you have read what your father has written."

"Very well."

And with that, Blaine departed, which afforded me a moment to myself. I went over to the chiffonier, pulled the right drawer open, and retrieved my gold watch chain; attached to it was a locket that contained a portrait of my dearly departed mama, Maria. I stared at her likeness and saw much of myself, particularly the black hair and bronze skin.

Hidden behind that image was a lock of raven hair from the woman to whom my heart belonged: Miku. Although fate had robbed me of the opportunity to know my mother, I liked to think they would have enjoyed each other's company.

Two raps struck the door. I snapped the locket shut.