Chapter 14

The Bankwells snored the entire way to Birmingham, treating us to a cacophonous duet. When Wayne's trumpeting sound fell, Colette's flute-like whistle would pick up the next verse. At times, it sounded as if they were harmonizing--if such noises can be said to approach anything resembling harmony. Whoever uttered the phrase "silence is golden" was truly a wise soul.

Colette awoke with a prolonged yawn and stretch. "Oh my," she covered her mouth. "My sincerest apologies. We must have dropped asleep at some point." She elbowed Wayne, who promptly sprung to life, mid-snore, like the bird in a cuckoo clock.

"Did we doze off for long?" he inquired.

"Just the last leg," I said, which seemed to offer the couple some relief.

Then they both exchanged looks that were half confusion, half shame before turning towards Miku and me.

"This is rather embarrassing," Wayne said, "I assure you my stomach does not growl so furiously when I've had a chance to eat breakfast at our usual hour."

"We didn't hear anything," Miku quickly replied.

"Quite right," I agreed.

"You both are far too kind," Colette threw back her veil. "It was loud enough to wake the dead. If my stomach could roar that loudly--which it most certainly cannot and did not--it would have done the same. I'm afraid we're both uncharmingly famished and we simply must stop to get something to eat." She groaned. "I declare--I feel a fainting spell approaching." Colette tumbled onto Wayne's lap.

Mr. Bankwell quickly produced his wife's fan and began fanning her with the vigour of a hurricane. "All will be well soon, my love. It's nothing a good breakfast cannot cure. Please," Wayne turned to me, "we must go to the Jade Tiger--it's a tea house not far from here."

What choice did I have? Had I insisted on continuing without delay, it would have invited suspicion. The Bankwells may have well inquired as to why I seemed to be in such a rush. Moreover, neither I nor Miku had stomachs for starving anyone. Thus, I gave the only response that seemed reasonable.

"Of course," I said.

Moments later, the driver stopped in front of the requested location.

"We're here, my love," Wayne whispered to his indisposed wife.

Colette resurrected in the blink of an eye. "Thank heavens! Oh, you simply must join us." She pleaded with clasped hands. "The Jade Tiger's tea is simply to die for."

"The food is grand also," Wayne said. "It would be our treat."

"Thank you so very much," Miku smiled. "I'm still rather full from breakfast at the inn."

"Likewise," I added.

"Well, you know where we will be," Colette said as she and Wayne quickly left the coach.

"We shan't be long." Mr. Bankwell tipped his hat before opening the door to the teahouse for his wife.

Judging by the crowded tables I discerned through the window, I very much doubted that assessment of time. For a moment, Miku and I sat idly in the carriage until I remembered where we were. Then a diverting idea dawned on me. The smile brightening my face immediately drew an inquiring smile from my beloved.

"What?" she said, prompting me for an explanation.

"It's nothing." I waved my hands and turned my head away, trying to suppress a chuckle.

"Any hopes you had of convincing me that what's brewing in that head of yours was indeed nothing have been dashed to pieces by that school boy grin on your face."