Chapter 9

Mr. Visser's condition of lodging slapped the sleep from my eyes with more force than a boxer's jab. "Assuming you are married, of course." The words spun in my mind together with the room. Why did I not anticipate such a circumstance?

"Are you feeling ill, sir?" he asked.

"No." I forced a smile. "I'm just a tad weary from our journey. And yes, we are married--have been for three wonderful months now."

"Fantastique!" Mrs. Visser exclaimed. "Such a handsome couple, too. I will show you to your room, Mr--pardon, but I do not remember your name."

I fought to keep the panic of my pounding heart from showing on my face. An old, familiar tenor voice rang in my ear: "Steady on. Take a breath. Marshal your thoughts." And in an instant, his surname became my name.

"Roy," I said as my eyes caught sight of roses in Miku's bouquet. "Roy Thornwood."

A bright smile blossomed on Mrs. Visser's face. "Ah, then you must know the Thornwoods of Middleworth; they stayed with us--was it last month, Mr. Visser?"

"Indeed, it was. Lovely people."

"I'm afraid not--we've never been, unfortunately."

"Then you must be from Oxford, judging by the lady orchids in Mrs. Thornwood's pretty bouquet," Mr. Visser said triumphantly.

The inn itself was quaint and clean, but its owners' propensity for questioning left something to be desired. My eyes were threatening to close up shop, leaving me in no mood for an interrogation. I was about to supply a polite response when my dearest one relieved me of the duty.

"We're from Kent," Miku said. "Ever since I was a girl, I had heard of the university, and fortune allowed me to be near it with my husband, who seems to always find an occasion to spoil me. And so, before I could even make the request, he stopped in town just to allow me to see it. Our first stop was to see an old friend of mine who married a gentleman from Oxford last year. Memories of the ceremony are still fresh in my mind. Oh, she was so happy to see us, treating us to tea. Thereafter, we toured the university grounds and the main areas of town. While we walked through the market square, Mr. Thornwood saw the bouquet and bought it for me. It was quite the delay by the end, but a most welcomed one at that." She smiled. "Now you can guess why we arrived at this late hour."

I breathed a sigh of relief. She delivered her tale with such warmth, I almost believed it myself. But the victory was counted before it hatched. After briefly complimenting me on being a model husband, the Vissers unleashed a deluge of questions upon us. Their quiz comprised asking us if we knew or were related to "so and so" in village or town "this or that." Miku broke in once again, damming the verbal downpour.

"We reside in Grave Glen," she said calmly.

"I do not think I have heard of it." Mr. Visser scratched his head.

"That does not surprise me," Miku replied. "It is a terribly quiet place and the people are likewise." She yawned and quickly covered her mouth. "Oh, my--I'm very sorry; I think the day's activities have left me quite drained."

Mrs.Visser waved off the apology and showed us to our room. Our host made sure we knew where to find her and her husband should we find ourselves needing anything. She listed the various things guests might find themselves needing during the night. I did my best to appear grateful for the lengthy catalogue. Then she paused.

"Les fleurs!" she exclaimed, and rushed off.

A moment later, Mrs. Visser returned with a vase for Miku's bouquet. And with that, she left after wishing us a good night. The instant Miku closed the door, I fell back onto the bed.