Chapter 10

When morning broke, my hand searched the space where Miku laid only to find it cold and empty. The discovery struck drowned my spirits. How I yearned to wake up beside her--to shower her with kisses till that enchanting smile dawned on her face. But the opportunity had vanished as pleasant dreams too often do. I pried my heavy eyelids open to survey the damage.

The nightshirt Miku wore was folded by the foot of the bed. Her dress was nowhere to be seen. My stomach growled like a feral beast. Had she broken her fast without me? I could not fault her for that; we did not have a proper supper on the previous night. Still, I wished she had waited.

I climbed out of bed and shed my sleeping garment. A chill jolted my bare body, sending goose pimples racing up my arms. With slumber sufficiently knocked out of me, I grabbed my trousers and hauled them on. As I reached for my shirt, the door burst open.

"They do not have any paper." Miku struggled to catch her breath. She looked up at me, and red flooded her face. With a swift turn, she hurriedly closed the door. "Sorry." The word was as soft as gentle rain.

"It's alright; there was no harm done," I said.

"Did it hurt?"

"Pardon me?"

She turned towards me. "Your scar." Concern rang in her voice.

"At one point, yes." I smiled. "But it's quite healed now, as you can see."

"How did it happen?"

"Riding accident." I quickly slipped into my shirt. "What were you saying regarding paper?" I asked to change the subject.

Her eyes moved away from the old wound and met mine. "They have none here at the inn, and I must write to my father straight away."

"And you're certain it cannot wait until Coventry?"

"Yes."

I exhaled. "Then I'll rectify that shortly. Have you eaten?"

She shook her head. "No."

"Perhaps you should do so while I try to locate a stationer."

"Do you not want me to wait for you?"

"I do. However, haste is our ally." I dressed and quit the room.

Before venturing into town, I made use of the Vissers' extensive geographical knowledge and asked them to point me in the direction of a stationer. Unfortunately, asking any question of the innkeepers incurred ten questions and all manner of speculation in reply. Obtaining a useful answer from the pair was decidedly more difficult than getting gruel from a glutton.

"Oh, it must be something very important--I said as much to Mrs. Visser when Mrs. Thornwood returned to the room with that worried look on her face." Mr. Visser nodded.

"Oui!" His wife placed a hand over her heart. "She looked very désolée indeed. I fear she has forgotten something très dear to her. Mon chéri," Mrs. Visser turned to her husband. "Does it not remind you of when that young lady from Devonshire, who stayed with us two summers ago? She forgot her locket at her aunt's house in Brighton. What was her name?"

"Miss Rivers! Yes, I recall the scene as though it had occurred yesterday. She was absolutely flustered at trying to write to her aunt that instant."

"Brilliant," I managed a smile. "You've solved it; my wife needs to write to her friend, not unlike your Miss Rivers. Now if you would be so kind as to give the directions to the stationer, I'll be on my way. I'm sure the other tenants desperately need your keen attention."

The Vissers both leaned in towards me as if expecting me to say something more.

"Please?" I uttered, hoping to move the cart along.