Chapter 3

Imran raced inside, leaving a trail of pipe smoke following behind him. "Was she not supposed to be at the Kumar's for the afternoon?"

"Was is by far the operative word in that sentence, my love--Miss Fields," Yesenia snapped her fingers. "Dismount the viscount this instant!"

She hopped off me. "What am I to do now?"

"Something natural--the pianoforte--play something!" Miss Parra shouted while trying to suppress her voice. "And Lord Rendon, do make your hair look less handled. My love, sit down--over there!"

When the servant entered to announce Mrs. Parra's entrance, we were all the picture of tranquillity. Miss Fields' dulcet notes floating off the pianoforte greatly enhanced the effect.

The music ceased, and calm as a cloudless day, we stood, curtsied, and bowed to our unexpected guest. Mrs. Parra was absolutely beaming when she looked at me. My stomach constricted, tying itself in pinching knots, bracing for impact.

"My dear Viscount Rendon," Mrs. Parra said, "I was so hoping I would encounter you today."

"Mama," Yesenia said, "did you forget something when you went to see Mrs. Kumar? I'm sure one of the servants could have--"

"I did not. As it happens, Mrs. Kumar received a letter, which apparently demanded her immediate attention. I will have to invite Lady Asrat over for tea tomorrow to see if she can shed some much-needed light on that curious occurrence."

Mrs. Parra then sat between Yesenia and Imran; the latter rose immediately and stood behind the seat her mother had usurped.

"Miss Fields," said the matriarch, turning round. "I did not know you played, and so well."

"Thank you, Mrs. Parra. You can thank my late mama; she taught me all that I know." She smiled.

"How lovely. Your papa taught you sewing, and your mama, rest her soul, gifted you with hands for music. I dare say you are very accomplished, Miss Fields. It's a great misfortune that fate has afflicted you with poverty--"

"Mama!" Yesenia shrieked.

Imran shifted his gaze towards the window and began feverishly puffing his pipe. My jaw grew tight as twine, but I did not let her see my scorn.

"It is the truth." Mrs. Parra raised her chin. "I was merely lamenting the plight of Miss Fields, dearest. If life had been kinder, someone as pretty as her could have easily secured the hand of a gentryman--of lower rank--or a wealthy merchant's son; on that account, I am sure. The Fates are cruel mistresses indeed. Miss Fields, would you kindly resume playing that song I heard upon entering? It was simply delightful; I had not heard it before. Is it something you composed?"

"It is." Miku smiled curtly and continued where she had left off.

"How lovely! Have you named it?"

"A Dream for Lovers."

Those notes were born of the night I held her in my arms. We sat under the wide oak in the gardens beyond the terrace outside. Miku's head reposed on my chest. I kissed her brow and said, "If this be a dream, do not wake me." She said it was a dream for lovers. When we next met for tea, she played it for me. I was spellbound.

"How apropos." Mrs. Parra turned her gaze to me. I all but held my breath. "Your late mama was from Andalusia in Spain, was she not?"

"She was."

"I did remember correctly!" Mrs. Parra could barely contain herself. My niece, Leticia, who is very pretty, just returned from Andalusia with her parents."

Yesenia's eyes grew large as saucers; she violently shook her head behind her mother. Perhaps sensing something amiss, the latter turned round. Yesenia sipped her tea, smiling.