Hanako

Chapter Thirty

Hanako

April 20, 2010

"Hmmmm," Naruto hummed, glancing over the clothes in his closet.

What did one wear when meeting his fiancée's mother for the first time? Blue orbs lighted on the orange hoodie, and tee shirts.

'Too casual.'

He looked at the slacks hanging at the opposite end.

'Too formal and uncomfortable.'

Giving a befuddled scratch to his head, Naruto sighed. It was like that time he'd had to pick an outfit for his first date with Hinata. He didn't know what the hell to wear. He didn't wanna present himself as something he wasn't by wearing the clean cut clothes Ino had bought him for Christmas, but he also didn't want her to think he wasn't taking this meeting serious by wearing the hoodie. What combination of clothes would give a good impression but still remain true to himself?

"Naruto-kun?"

He turned and beheld elegant beauty.

Jet black, long sleeve, form fitting turtle neck tucked into a ankle length flowing deep green skirt. A black, cotton like belt cinched the skirt high at her waist, leaving the metal square that kept the belt together to gleam among the nightfall her outfit imitated. That heavy hair he loved was pulled back at her temples and twisted in some complex, looping style while the rest flowed down her back. It was a slightly formal, slightly sensual, completely feminine ensemble.

"What's wrong?" she questioned, stopping before him.

"You look beautiful," he complimented before complaining, "and I ain't got nothing to wear."

Hinata blushed at the compliment then giggled at the follow up sentence.

"Naruto-kun, what-"

"It's like our date all over again," he told her, lips pursed in consternation, "When I was tryna pick out a outfit, nothing seemed right for the occasion. The stuff Ino bought is too formal to meet your mom. I'm not a clean cut sorta guy, it's not really me, but these sweats and hoodie...she's probably gonna think I'm not taking this meeting serious and hate me the moment she sees me. Everything's either too much or not enough, 'ttebayo."

He huffed, shoulders drooping. Turning silly mournful eyes to her, he gave a quick assessing look before speaking.

"Hinataaa, Ino said you were supposed to take over this "orange fortress" as my girlfriend," he informed her, "make with the girlfriend magic."

He gave her a pouty look, then smiled at the laughter that followed.

"But Naruto-kun, I'm not a girlfriend anymore."

He snapped his fingers like he'd forgotten.

"Ahhh, that's right. Damn. Its too late for me then, huh?"

She chortled.

"Yes, far too late, but...since it's you, Naruto-kun, I'll make an exception."

He reached out, looped an arm around her waist then pulled her flush to him.

"Just for me?" he asked, rubbing noses with her.

"Yes, just for you." she confirmed, radiant joy on her face.

Though they were joking about it, he couldn't help feeling a bit relieved. The last thing he wanted to do was look a fool in front of his future mother-in law. With a hand at her waist and curiosity in his eyes, Naruto watched pupiless orbs move over his side of their closet. She pulled a few shirts out to look at them, did the same with a few pants, then placed a finger to her chin.