Entity 504

Chapter Forty-Six

Entity 504

May 15, 2010

Water flowed smoothly and quietly over pretty gleaming rocks, the gentle trickling filling the quiet clearing with a calming lullaby of peace, nature and tranquility. A stark contrast to the emotions churning within the whiskered cheeked jonin. With his back to a tall shady tree, a few feet from the serene stream, the soothing sound was lost on the frowning blonde.

Naruto read silently through the details surrounding his current, long term mission.

Four hours from crossing over the border into Suna, the group had stopped for a break before they began the most grueling part of the journey; the day and a half travel through the scorching sandy sea of the desert. Naruto had quickly delegated duties; sending Botan to refill canteens, Fuyuko and Choji to forage food, and tasked Sai and Ino with beginning the lookout rotation, before seeking out a quiet place to continue reading through the stack of papers given to him by Shikamaru. Heavy and wordy, the documents were a combination of the latest information from the team currently combing through the abandoned city and the finial impressions upon the sixth sweep through the ghost town. The pages held a number of first hand accountings from the investigators dispatched by the Hokage and Kazekage, documentation detailing numerous findings amongst the ruble, a slew of status reports and more importantly, analysis of the 'tree' that had sent Uzumaki and kyuubi down a road to hell.

That six page synopsis chilling to say the least. He'd been reading for over an hour and growing more and more disturbed as the minutes ticked by.

And more mystified.

Guess it was to be expected considering this information came from experts that were just as baffled and confused about the husk of the 'entity' they were studying.

To summarize the summary; they didn't know what the fuck it was.

Samples collected from what remained in that lab indicated the unnerving perennial plant was no perennial plant at all. Sixty four feet tall, twenty feet wide and a branch spread measured at fifty seven point four, its dimensions were comparable to the average tree, but outside its appearance, it had fuck all in common with an actual tree.

'Entity 504 is not a tree despite its outward depiction. Its structure is comprised of unidentified fleshy material, fluid with components similar to blood and a clear sticky substance yet to be identified,' he read silently, 'many of its observable cells appear alien and their function remains unclear. Deoxyribonucleic acid extracted from the nucleus are comprised of known and unknown nucleotides. Further testing and analysis has been requested.'

He set down the finished paper, grabbed the next and continued.

'The branches atop the trunk are better described as external limbs. They are limber and dexterous, equipped with small, retractable talons nestled within millions of suction cups buried below the epidermis. These sharp hooks reside within the reticular dermis but extended beyond the epidermis when triggered. It is believed that these appendages provided a means of attacking and capturing prey.'

Blonde brows creased.

"What the hell am I reading?" he muttered.

'The 'trunk' is lined with an inestimable amount of teeth comparable in shape to those of a shark. Due to the high concentration of shredded flesh and bone fragments, it is surmised that the center, anterior of the trunk is the primary site of mastication, although teeth encompass the entirety of the trunks spongy surface.'