The Truth

Chapter Fifty-Seven

The Truth

June 20, 2010

She was fast asleep when he got home; not that he was surprised, it was well passed three in the morning. She must have been extremely tired, however, soft snores drifted from her plush lips, her lush body contorted gracefully, carelessly lackadaisical across their mattress. But for her dark hair, short stature, and the whole being female thing, it was like looking at himself passed out and strewn across every corner their mattress had to offer.

He leaned down and kissed her delicate jaw, freezing as her scent filled his nostrils. He drew in a breath, then another, and one more after, brow furrowing.

She smelled so...good.

So, so good...

Like sweet nectar wafting from a ripened fruit.

Succulent, enthralling...

Enticing.

He felt...hungry inside; craving some elusive substance he couldn't even begin to put name to. This wasn't a product of new shampoo, or creamy lotion his lover applied to her skin tonight. It wasn't perfume, it wasn't scented detergent radiating from her silky nightgown.

'Her eyes, kit.' Kurama directed.

Shifting, Naruto brought his nose to both closed lids and was overwhelmed.

Power thrummed; vociferously laden, heavily concentrated and denser than a forest; sweet scented with a hint of earthiness. He slipped into senjutsu, narrowing his focus to the chakra collection pulsing in her eyes.

Weird.

The shit felt fuckin...weird.

More than moderately disturbed, he reached out, sliding his hand up and down her pale arm, feeling energy racing beneath her skin. It was her chakra but the sensation was off, not unlike that alien vibe following Hamura's transfer, but a lot less sinister and wrong. Different, but not enough to make the hair at his nape stand on end. Chakra hurtled through her body as though pulled by an outside force, coalescing akin to a swarm of angry bees behind her lids. At the center of each eye, there were deposits, pouches of void that seem to rest at the crux of the phenomenon, functioning as an epicenter; interacting with the voracious chakra.

Unstable, pulsating.

Like a malfunctioning heart unable to regulate its beating rhythm, those voids pumped, pushed and pulled. Irregular and inconsistent, tightening twined coils viciously one moment while struggling to contract another. Her chakra whipped about fiercely, ping ponging inside each orb with more force than he thought those little spaces could or should hold.

Chaos, it was absolute chaos.

"What's happening to her?"

'Evolution.'

"Fuck's that mean?"

'It is buried within my memories, but I recall this scent, this surging of chakra. I am unsure what is causing her chakra to behave in this manner, but her Byakugan is reacting to it and is undergoing a transition, an evolution.'

Unease rose between their connection.

'Calm down, kid, aside from a few headaches, she'll be fine.

"Well the way you explained it all ominous and shit, why wouldn't I worry, dattebayo?" he replied, stroking bangs from his lover's forehead, "anyway, you don't know what's causing this but you know what's happening, so can you tell me what this 'transition' is? What's it doing to her Byakugan?"