Lean On Me

Chapter Fifty-Four

Lean On Me

June 9, 2010

'Sakura,

The Otsutsuki are formidable adversaries, investigating such enemies requires nothing less than full vigilance and shrewd preparedness. I assure you that I undertake each information gathering expedition with a heightened awareness, however I am grateful for your concern. I was disheartened to read the unfortunate circumstances occurring within the village. Please extend my condolences to Shino. I cannot say we are friends but we are both shinobi of Konoha.

Comrades.

I cannot contemplate walking such a road, of losing a core part of ones self. His life is forever changed and it is beyond tragic, not just for Shino himself, but for his family, his clan and the village as a whole. There is still the arduous task of treating his declining health, in this he is fortunate to have you presiding over his care. I understand treatment is limited, that his aliment is serious and grievous yet I am confident that you will find a solution to improve his quality of life as much as humanly possible.

I believe in you.

Likewise, I hope Ino makes a prudent recovery. I remember well the bond you two shared. I regret that I cannot offer my support to you in person, but I hope that you are able to draw strength and encouragement through our letter exchanges. I know your grief is great, and stress incredibly high, but better days will prevail. Until that time arrives, take each day, each challenge, one step at a time.

You are strong, Sakura.

Never doubt that.

Sasuke.'

Turning tired eyes from the words on the page, Tsunade's apprentice contemplated reading through the words a fifth time. As though she could plug the holes in her heart with naught but ink on paper. She hadn't expected a correspondence so soon, but was so grateful it had.

She hadn't slept more than a few hours last night. Not a great way to start a morning she planned to woman up and finally reunite, face to face with Ino.

She was back home under the watchful supervision of her boyfriend.

Stable.

Functioning.

Ignorant.

Ino's memory of that fateful, violent act upon a child had been wiped completely from her recollection. For all intents and purposes, Yumiko's murder never happened.

It made her...angry.

Resentful that she was to be alone in this trauma. Sickened with herself for wishing Ino remembered that atrocity for her own selfish reasons. Blinking back tears, Sakura sucked in a breath. Despite feeling the way she felt, she was grateful the Yamanaka had seen fit to take it from her friend. Ino didn't deserve to fester in that kind of hell...

But goddammit, she didn't want to be in it by herself.

xxxxxx

"Hmmm..."

Curious pearl eyes watched as he chewed, a small plate and fork suspended in each hand as she waited.

A frown curved his lips downward as he swallowed.

It was fucking delicious and he hated it! His fiancée giggled as he gave a heavy, frustrated, over the top, dramatically extended sigh.

"Can't we just have a cake buffet, Hinata?" he huffed, "I like all of them! How am I supposed to pick just one? I can't even pick a top five! Unless one of these cakes are ramen flavored, I'm at a lost! My vote, a buffet?"