Confession

Chapter Five

Confession

May 17, 2008

Naruto awoke dizzy and bewildered. The room was blurry and it felt like his eyes were crossing. He could hear someone talking but for the life of him, he couldn't understand a word of what they were saying. It sounded like they were talking underwater. He listened harder, wondering if he was drunk or something. Laughter reached his ears, at least he thought it was laughter.

Hard to tell what the heck he was hearing.

More talking, more jumbled, garbled speech from multiple places around him.

Someone was close to his ear, the inflection of their voice seeming to imply they were asking him a question.

"Whalttt arrreyouuu saaayling, da....datthtabaayooo?" he asked, voice slurred.

Laughter again, more speech he couldn't understand. His eyes began to close, exhaustion taking over. Whoever was talking could come back later when they figured out how to talk without sounding like they had a bag over their head.

~

He awoke again, a little less confused, though his head felt floaty and his mouth was dry as hell. He had no idea how much time had passed since the last time but at least he could make out his surroundings this time.

The room was a bright white, a television mounted on the wall across from him. A window to his right was open, letting in light and a cool breeze. It didn't take long for him to realize he was in the hospital. Remembering why he was here, he looked down at his right arm, a little shocked and disturbed to see a bandaged hand and forearm attached.

It seemed surreal.

His brows creased as he tried to move the fingers of the hand attached to him. They twitched slightly.

The amount of effort it took just to do that stunned him.

"You're awake, Naruto-kun. How do you feel?"

It took just as much effort to turn and look over at the owner of that voice. Hinata sat in a chair next to his hospital bed. Her smile was bright, and she looked incredibly happy.

".....Dizzy......." he licked his lips, "thirsty....."

She stood and reached over to a bed side table. He heard the sound of water being poured into a glass.

"You're so spoiled, Naruto."

He turned his head to see Sakura standing in the doorway, arms crossed. He couldn't tell if she was serious or not, though he couldn't really argue one way or another. It was a pretty accurate assessment. It was the new running joke among their friends that Hinata absolutely spoiled him rotten. Even he knew it was true, but he was hard pressed to change it. If Hinata didn't mind it, why should he? Besides, he was just as indulgent with her as she was with him. They both were fine with the way things were. While everyone seemed to take it in stride and laugh about it, Sakura seemed to get more and more irritated.

"The guy's in the hospital, cut him some slack, jeez billboard brow." Ino said, bumping her out of the doorway.

Hinata brought a cup to his lips and cool water ran down his parched throat. Peering over the rim of the glass, he watched Sakura roll her eyes at Ino and sit down with a huff in one of the chairs across from his bed.

A flicker of annoyance flared through him.

He was getting really sick of her attitude lately. Every time he was near her, she'd make some kind of snide remark about him and Hinata or give him a dirty look. At first he had been really, really confused as to what he had done to make her so irritated with him. He had even asked her a few times what her deal was and each time she would blush and claim it was nothing.